2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stop Draining My Battery........

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
brightside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop Draining My Battery........

Is there a way that I can make it so when I turn off my 2002 Blazer 4.3L, the cigarette lighter and the other 2 accessory cigarette lighters turn off as well?
I do my best to unplug my Sirius radio and my radar dectector from their cigarette lighter plugs when I get home every night. If I forget and don't unplug them, my car doesn't start the next day. I asked a guy at the NAPA store if there was something I could do and he recomended this part.....

https://www.napaonline.com/Search/De...118_0076263386

..might have to cut & Paste link......

Would this NAPA part do the job? I'd love to be able to turn my Blazer off and have all the accesories (Sirius Radio, radar detector, phone charger, etc...) turn off as well.

Can this be done?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

That is not what you are looking for, that would require something even more involved than unplugging everything. What you need to do is switch a relay off the ignition circuit (I think that'll be one of the relays in the under hood fuse center) and use that relay to switch the lighter plugs on and off.
You can get a 30-amp relay for like six bucks at the local Advanced Auto.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with TFisher. That part you have there would be like essentially turning your entire truck off. That cuts the power direct from the battery to everything. Although you could wire it to cut off certain things, you'd still have to remember to turn the switch everyday. You want a relay that, when the key is turned on will turn on the plugs and when it's turned off will shut them off also. In theory, very simple. In reality, you have to find all the wires, hook them up, and pray it doesn't mess with anything else. lol. First, get a wiring diagram of your truck and see if you can locate some of the wires you need. Then if you think you're up to it, get a relay and wire it up. Good luck

Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'm thinking the easiest and cheapest solution is to just unplug all your accessories when you shut off your truck. I'd kind of think after the first time you had to jump it in the morning it would something easy to remember.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

You would think that, but if my Cavalier didn't go "BING BING BING" when you left the headlights on, I'd prolly kill a few batteries myself. And how obvious is it your headlights are on?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TFisher
You would think that, but if my Cavalier didn't go "BING BING BING" when you left the headlights on, I'd prolly kill a few batteries myself. And how obvious is it your headlights are on?
ummm.......very?

maybe because i always drive with my lights on 24/7.

what you need to do is take the power ports under the dash, and just rewire them into a powered relay, wired into the "ignition" section of the fuse panel. this way, key on-relay is powered up, key off-relay shut off, killing all power to the plugs.

i've got to ask...........just how much s**t do you have plugged in, that you can't remember to unplug it @ night? i mean, those GPS & XM readouts are god damn bright-even during the day. so how could you forget to unplug the stuff?

i'm just asking is all, don't take it to harshly or anything.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 AM
brightside is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJBert
I'm thinking the easiest and cheapest solution is to just unplug all your accessories when you shut off your truck. I'd kind of think after the first time you had to jump it in the morning it would something easy to remember.
Yes, now that I've had to replace a battery that was only two years old from having to jump it several times, i should remember. However I also have a honda civic that i can keep everything plugged in, and just remove the key and go. If I'm running late for something or getting home real late (I work in a restaurant and get home sometimes at 2am), i'm tired and just forget to do this. Why do some american cars have this "feature?" I think that if you are trying to power an accesory (phone charger, sirius radio, whatever...), the key should be in the ignition and when the key isn't in the ignition, the battery should only trickle charge the clock, or other small items that won't drain your battery in 24 hours. That's just my opinion.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brightside
Why do some american cars have this "feature?"
funny you should mention that. i always thought it was stupid that Chrysler/dodge vehicles were built like that.

kinda a PITA when you want to charge your cell, while you're @ work.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Prolly cuz after a few jumps it starts to sink in...

I'm a little fuzzy on how two items can manage to drain your battery in just a few hours, exactly how long does it take for your battery to die when you don't have anything at all plugged in? Are you buying the correct sized battery? A good brand? Got any leaks in the wiring harness, that was a killer on this ol' full size cub cadet at this farm I used to work on, that thing would always need to be pop-started and it didn't even have an accessory plug! *Not too sure if it's bad to pop-start a tractor, just did it when nobody was lookin'*

Regards,

Thomas

Last edited by TFisher; 12-16-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: More information