2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Strange electrical problem (won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:14 AM
hakuna matata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Strange electrical problem (won't start)

Hello everyone and thanks for hosting such a great resource.

I'll start with a little backround. Yesterday it was raining pretty heavy here for most of the day. After the rain stopped my mom

stopped by my house in her 2000 blazer. I popped the hood to check her fluids, but didn't touch anything else(i think). When

she was ready to go she attempted to start the truck and the instrument panel was blank, the gauges would flicker and the

battery light would flicker. I troubleshot to the tbc(truck body computer?) fuse and removed it. This allowed the intrument panel

return, but the truck still would not start. When trying to start the vehicle I here a click like the starter solenoid has engaged

and the entire instrument panel goes blank.

I'm thinking that maybe something got wet when I popped the hood, not sure. Has anyone experienced this type of electrical problem with their truck?

Thanks

-JB

Old 08-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Strange electrical problem (won't start)

Water is not the cause unless there are exposed wires somewhere. Vehicles are designed to handle rain.

I would start by checking the battery connections. I have seen the positive posts corrode inside the battery and cause no start conditions with these symptoms.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I removed both the pos. and neg. wires from the battery and cleaned them up. I get 12.7 volts at the terminals with and w/o the wires connected, sorry I didn't include this info in my original post.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Put a load tester on it or better yet, have the battery tested. When my battery went, I was getting good voltage at the terminals, but when it was loaded up, the voltage dropped to near zero. The battery in my old Bravada did this. Drove it to run some errands in the morning and got back home for lunch. Half hour later and it wouldn't start. Gauges would sweep when I first turned the key to ON, but if I tried to start it in the middle of the sweep, they would go dead. Same with the radio.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks. I'll try another battery and report back.

-JB

Old 08-31-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I dropped another battery in and the truck started right up. I've never seen a battery fail in that fashion b4 so I'm not sure I would have found it myself.

Thanks again.

-JB

Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
OOPS242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Strange electrical problem (won't

I had a bad battery with dead cell. It would start fine, but every now and then would not start for 30 mins(like battery was going dead). Also i had a no start one time, and pulled every fuse out, and put them back it. It fired right out (note i jused pulled them all one at a time, cause i was to lazy to try to read the cover[:'(] ) Not sure how that happened, but i guess a fuse come lose or had bad connection.

Edit: Do not jump new cars/trucks with you blazer.. Trust me its bad on the battery, and screws with the computer. I done it to a 2000 car, and it cause it to idle way up there even in drive. Had to take battery cable off for 15 mins to reset.