2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Strange front left wheel clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Strange front left wheel clicking

This is going to sound very crazy, but I think it could be serious. The front left wheel is making a clicking sound that increases in frequency and volume as the truck accelerates. It is most audible from 15-35 MPH after which the wind noise cancels it out. I only hear it with the window open. I really do not know what it could be considering most of the stuff on the front end is new. Ball joints, CV joints (I thought this was the source of the clicking before. I was wrong.), brakes, tires with 12k on them (Goodyear Wrangler AT/S LT215/75R15s all around) , the rubber bumpers on the control arms, shift fork and all the related parts (front diff was trashed when we got the car. $1000 to fix). The 4WD seems to work fine and I know this because it won't make turns in 4HI if i try to turn the wheel more than 3/4 - one turn of the wheel. The 4wd seems to shift okay, but sometimes when I try to do it standing still in neutral it will refuse to shift with just the TCCM clicking and blinking the 4HI light until I move it backwards or forward about 3 inches to make it lock in correctly. I can move the front driveshaft by hand with it in 2HI and engine off with some resistance. I hope it isn't something serious because I don't want to have to go through all that hell again with all that is happening right now between school, my Eagle Scout project, merit badges, etc. Thanks for any help on this matter.

ComputernerdBD

Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I have this same clicking noise coming from my left side as well. CV axle is only 3 months old. I'm wondering if I just have a bad cv.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Beginning Member
joerum is on a distinguished road

you guy's might want to check out wheel bearings to! never had issues with my blazer for this but i owned a cavalier before my blazer and it had bearing issues. sounds like a similiar sound. trust me if it is a wheel bearing you don't want it to go out on the free way! you will have a accident in your pants!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it get worse when you turn?

Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM

No change with turns. Seems to have been clicking for over a month or 2 now.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Does this thing even have wheel bearings that are replaceable? It has 4WD.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sure does just probably not what you are used to. The entire hub assembly gets replaced along with the ABS WSS (wheel speed sensor).

Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 PM
ohyeahjay is an unknown quantity at this point

might want to check to see if something is stuck in your tire. A friend of mine had a nail stuck in one for a week before we figured what the clicking was from. Just a thought.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Beginning Member
umpa5032 is on a distinguished road

jack it up so that the LF wheel is off the ground. shake the wheel up and down and siide to side. if there is any play in the wheel, get a friend to see what is moving. generally, but not always... if you get play both up and down as well as side to side, it will be the wheel bearing. make sure u get someone to look at the suspension while checking it if there is any play

Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Both my wheel hubs are brand new. I only hear the clicking noise when I'm on the highway.

Quick Reply: Strange front left wheel clicking