2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stripped Throttle Body bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Stripped Throttle Body bolt

Hey guys. Bad News. When I went to install the Spectre 9901 CAI in my truck, I not only had so many problems trying to make it fit and have to revert back to the old intake system after spending 5 hours nonstop with it, but I stripped one of the three throttle body bolts on the top of it, below the plenum on the passenger side. I can't even tighten a nut with or without a washer down onto the throttle body. I made the other two as tight as I can. Currently only the rear one with the wingnut and the driver side nuts are holding the throttle body onto the engine. This thing has a throttle body spacer (NOT my idea.) with new hardware. Am I looking at an expensive repair to replace or fix that bolt or could I just leave it alone? I managed to drive it 20 miles without incident, but am I asking for trouble by not having 3 nuts and bolts holding down the throttle body?
I did have a Service Engine Soon light, but that was only because I left the MAF sensor unplugged (oops...) when I started the engine (P0102). I managed to clear it and it hasn't come on for 20 miles of driving.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

You way may wanna try getting a Die or thread chaser and to refurbish the threads. One die and tool shouldn't be more than $20 or so. I'd try that first. If you can't revive enough thread to allow you to get the nut tight you may have to step down a size. If you do be very slow and careful not to snap the bolt.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC, the front two bolts go down through the plastic upper plenum into the aluminum intake. If that is the case, you could helicoil it. That would require the removal of the plastic upper plenum though.

If it threads into the plastic, then you'd probably want to get a replacement.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM

Are those the best options or would it not do anything harmful if I leave it alone? I don't think there is enough bolt to do anything. There is only like a couple millimeters of bolt sticking up out of the throttle body. Not even enough for the bolt to go all the way through the nut with a washer installed.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
IIRC, the front two bolts go down through the plastic upper plenum into the aluminum intake. If that is the case, you could helicoil it. That would require the removal of the plastic upper plenum though.

If it threads into the plastic, then you'd probably want to get a replacement.
What is helicoil? Sorry, never heard of it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
What is helicoil? Sorry, never heard of it.
A helicoil is for reparing stripped internal threads. The kit comes with a drill bit, tap, helicoils & inserting tool. You drill out the old threads with the drill bit. You then tap the hole with the special tap. Then you screw the stainless steel helicoil into the hole. The helicoil looks like a spring. When done you have the same threads (size & pitch) as the original but they are stronger than original, particularly in aluminum. I have never heard of them being used in plastic though.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by terry s
A helicoil is for reparing stripped internal threads. The kit comes with a drill bit, tap, helicoils & inserting tool. You drill out the old threads with the drill bit. You then tap the hole with the special tap. Then you screw the stainless steel helicoil into the hole. The helicoil looks like a spring. When done you have the same threads (size & pitch) as the original but they are stronger than original, particularly in aluminum. I have never heard of them being used in plastic though.
This is not in plastic or a hole. This is a bolt sticking up out of the passenger side of the throttle body that usually has a nut on top of it. The small end of the bolt is stripped. Sorry if I said it wrong.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
This is not in plastic or a hole. This is a bolt sticking up out of the passenger side of the throttle body that usually has a nut on top of it. The small end of the bolt is stripped. Sorry if I said it wrong.
It sounds like that is just a stud scerwed into a threaded hole. I'm not familiar with that model so maybe someone here can verify. If so all you need to do is unscrew the old stud and put a new one in.

If you take the throttle body off you may have enough threads to double nut and unscrew it. If not a stud remover or good vice grips should take it out. If need be you can put in a longer stud.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. Much easier to deal with then.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Ok thanks for all the advice. My big question: Is it even worth fixing? Will the remaining studs take the load? They seem to be tight.

Quick Reply: Stripped Throttle Body bolt