2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Stupid question but need to know

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stupid question but need to know

Ok I know this is stupid but I need to know.. I have a helix thottle body spacer and a tornado fuel save on the same intake system and am wonder if they will work in harmony. I know that the tornado turns the air to the left but do not know what the throttle body space turns the air. Does anyone know? I do not want to take the spacer off to see I took off the tornado till I find out though.

Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stupid question but need to know

Perfect.
Get rid of both of them. Niether will do anything on your engine. It is already a Vortec engien. The tornado is supposed to create a vortex, your heads already do it. Same with the torttle body spacer. Get rid of them both. If anything they are hurting your performance, slow starts, bad fuel mileage, etc.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Stupid question but need to know

Throttle body spacers, even on fuel injected vehicles, have been proven to shift the torque curve down lower in the rpm band due to the added intake runner length, but at the expense of high end torque and breath-ability. The restrictions come when you start to add fru-fru 'vortex' generators to the spacer bore. These grooves do nothing but restrict the airflow.

I had spacers machined up for the dodge/chrysler 3.3L v6 and 3.5L v6 when I was in the Intrepid community and my straight through spacers out performed the major competition on a dyno at higher rpm meaning that they were less restrictive. My spacers matched the low rpm performance. All I did was extrude the gasket 3/4" for the 3.5L and 1" for the 3.3L.

Spacers work, the tornado has NEVER proved to do anything but restrict the airflow.