2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Suggested OBD-II Code Readers

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:57 AM
MeidleinA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggested OBD-II Code Readers

I'm looking for an OBD-II Code Reader, specifically the hand-held type and not the laptop (software) type.

In particular, I've been looking into the Equus Innova 3030 and 3100. Does anyone have any experience with this brand or can maybe suggest something similar?

I don't need top-of-the-line, just something to read the P0 (generic) and P1 (manufacturer-specific) DTCs.

Thank you,

Allan

Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Suggested OBD-II Code Readers

With the availability of online DTC databases, a quick, dirty, and cheap code reader is really all you need if you are only looking to see what codes you have at home. If you have an Autozone or Advanced Auto close by (other stores may do this as well), then you really don't need a code reader of your own. They'll read your codes for free, give you a print out of the code listing, and even clear them once you are done with your repairs.

If you are a DIYer like me and you don't have alot of coin to drop on a diagnostic tool then a code reader is the way to go to atleast point you in the right direction. The 3030 looks like a very nice unit and I like it's ability to be able to show you the emissions readiness of your vehicle. To me it doesn't look like the 3100 would the of that much more benefit over the 3030 for the added cost.

Now, I really like the display of trouble code meanings on the 3110, but it's over $100 more expensive and at that point, something like the AutoTap would then be an alternative. I have an AutoTap diagnostic tool and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING (short of maybe an HPTuners suite).

Old 12-18-2005, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

With the availability of online DTC databases, a quick, dirty, and cheap code reader is really all you need if you are only looking to see what codes you have at home. If you have an Autozone or Advanced Auto close by (other stores may do this as well), then you really don't need a code reader of your own. They'll read your codes for free, give you a print out of the code listing, and even clear them once you are done with your repairs.

If you are a DIYer like me and you don't have alot of coin to drop on a diagnostic tool then a code reader is the way to go to atleast point you in the right direction. The 3030 looks like a very nice unit and I like it's ability to be able to show you the emissions readiness of your vehicle. To me it doesn't look like the 3100 would the of that much more benefit over the 3030 for the added cost.

Now, I really like the display of trouble code meanings on the 3110, but it's over $100 more expensive and at that point, something like the AutoTap would then be an alternative. I have an AutoTap diagnostic tool and wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING (short of maybe an HPTuners suite).
Thank you for the information! I forgot to mention that I live in Canada so I don't have access to those fine establishments. If anyone in Canada knows where, perhaps Canadian Tire, I can go to get codes read for free, please let me know. I may just drive over there and ask....

Now about the 3030 and 3100. I think that the difference is that the 3030 DOES NOT display P1 (manufacturer-specific codes), while the 3100 will display both P0 and P1. Is the ability to read P1 codes very important or is it just one of those 'nice-to-have' features?

Thanks again,

Allan

Old 12-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah.. I see. Then yeah, I'd go with the 3100.

*EDIT*- So wait a minute... You're saying that the 3030 won't even tell you the P1 codes? That doesn't sound right... Hmm... Wow.. Seems like a waste. Guess I've been spoiled with my Autotap. Didn't know that they got so selective. You'd think they'd still be able to read the P1 codes, just maybe not tell you what they mean. But then you could just go online and get the manufacturers specific meaning...

Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM

Ah.. I see. Then yeah, I'd go with the 3100.

*EDIT*- So wait a minute... You're saying that the 3030 won't even tell you the P1 codes? That doesn't sound right... Hmm... Wow.. Seems like a waste. Guess I've been spoiled with my Autotap. Didn't know that they got so selective. You'd think they'd still be able to read the P1 codes, just maybe not tell you what they mean. But then you could just go online and get the manufacturers specific meaning...
I've read the manuals for the 3030 and the 3100; there are no P1 codes mentioned at the back of the manual, but you can look them up on the company's website. However, the 3100 specifically says in its literature that it'll do both codes.

Maybe the 3030 will read both but the manual only lists the P0s. If that's the case, who cares; I can look up the codes elsewhere.

I suppose the only way is to go to the store and specifically ask if it'll read everything.

Allan

Old 12-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Administrator

With just about all of those things, you should be able to try before you buy... But unless you've got a P1 code, you still won't know...

For comparison, I can't read Ford or Chrysler specific data with my AutoTap because I didn't purchase those data packs, but I can read all of the codes for all OBD-2 vehicles.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:00 PM

With just about all of those things, you should be able to try before you buy... But unless you've got a P1 code, you still won't know...

For comparison, I can't read Ford or Chrysler specific data with my AutoTap because I didn't purchase those data packs, but I can read all of the codes for all OBD-2 vehicles.
True enough. Well, I ended up buying the 3100 since it was on sale... Merry Christmas to me! Oh well, a small price to pay for doing your own maintenance.

Thanks again for all the info.

As a side note, I've posted about the code I got as another thread.

Allan

Old 12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OBD-II Code Readers

Yeah, I liked the feedback, too. Those AutoTaps looked nice. Just to show how dumb I am, one reader will work on both GM and Ford?

Since I just bought an Explorer for my wife and I get the Blazer it would be nice to have one reader. As you can tell not really brand loyal.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Default RE: OBD-II Code Readers

ORIGINAL: Bocomo

Yeah, I liked the feedback, too. Those AutoTaps looked nice. Just to show how dumb I am, one reader will work on both GM and Ford?

Since I just bought an Explorer for my wife and I get the Blazer it would be nice to have one reader. As you can tell not really brand loyal.
Yes, the 3100 will read it all. The generic codes of course plus Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, and Toyota - specific codes. So far I like it. In some ways, I hope I never have to use it again, but it'll sure be nice when I need it.

Allan

Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Default RE: OBD-II Code Readers

The handheld reader will work on all auto makes. My autotap will read codes on all makes/models, but I only purchased the GM enhanced data pack with it. I can read ALL of the data (sensors, etc) available through the data-link connector under the dash on all GM vehicles (90% of what my entire family and friends drive). It can still read the generic (non-manufacturer specific) data on any other make/model vehicle with OBD-2 specs.

Quick Reply: Suggested OBD-II Code Readers