2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Sunroof won't close (and opens too far)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sunroof won't close (and opens too far)

Have read all of the numerous posts regarding this, yet there doesn't seem to be any clear nor common solution to my problem. The other day I opened it, but it went too far to rear and was stuck inside. Pushing switch to close, made no sound or movement. Pushing switch to open, it keeps making a heavy clicking noise. Reaching in to pull it manually while pushing switch to close.......it came out and stopped dead at about 2" closed, with no more noise if continuing to push switch.

My side windows work normally. There are no codes. I've been greasing the mechanism for several years (without removing the glass). Can't see any obstruction along the rails.

With repeated fiddling of switch while pulling on glass.....it would then go to about 35% closed. I saw it was closing a bit lazy on one side, so was tilted a bit. Pulling on the lazy side of glass eventually got it to close about 75%. It always seems to only get stuck at one of those three points. Wherever it does stop......it's sudden, with no further noise. Also, I did remove the console and tried jumpering the contacts inside the harness plug. But that only did the same thing the switch did.
I downloaded that series of troubleshooting attachments already posted (thank you), but when reading step #9 saying to "disconnect position encoding system (PES) module (limit switches).".....I have zero clue what/where/how. Not any results in a Google search, either. So I don't even know what they look like. And people have mentioned stop sensors, but I've no clue where they are or what they look like. I have read people saying that changing the motor, or module, made no difference. As for that Sunroof Doctor kit; well, that makes no sense without knowing what the problem is. The kit only shows rails/rods/pieces, with no motor/module included. I read one person say ordering that didn't fix the problem.

Starting tonight, nothing but rain is forcast for the next 5 days, and I park on the street. At least I have a tarp and a window screen for support. So, if anybody has been able to fix this issue with their truck.......please let me know what you did. Thanks.

By the way........a shop is no option. Every time someone has mentioned that, it's insane ($1,200, $2,000 etc.).

Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I have no experience in this, but it sounds like the track might be off, or a gear is sitting out of position. You might have to open it up, take it apart to line back up, the put everything back together. Maybe find a blueprint on Google to help with any dismantle and rebuild...

Good luck, someone else might chime in.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:16 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I had a complete cluster with mine so I ordered the repair kit from sunroof doctor and retimed the motor and it works great.

Old 04-03-2019, 02:19 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks guys.