2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

tail gate, mirrors, and door locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Helter80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tail gate, mirrors, and door locks not working

i have a 2004 blazer 4X4. i went to open the rear glass hatch for a buddy by using the button inside the truck. i held the button down for a while because it took my buddy a while to get to the back of the truck. i heard the usual noise it makes to open, only it did not make the noise again when you take your finger off of the button. i'm wondering if because i held the button down for a long time, i caused an electrical short or blowing a fuse. because now:
-the rear hatch motor does not work to open the rear hatch
-the power door lock button on both doors do not work -they do work when you put the transmission into gear, but the power lock button on the doors do not work
-the power mirrors do not work

the windshield wipers work, and the power windows work.

are the things that i just listed all linked onto one fuse? its too dark and cold outside for me to look at things right now. thank you in advance

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: tail gate, mirrors, and door locks not working

Whyd you hold it down? Once you push it, its popped...doesnt matter how long he takes to get back there..

Did you check your fuses? Ive never held mine down, but I imagine it kept sending power...so either you blew a fuse or the motor. Just my guess though. And iirc...the power windows/locks/mirrors are on the same fuse?

Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Whyd you hold it down? Once you push it, its popped...doesnt matter how long he takes to get back there..

Did you check your fuses? Ive never held mine down, but I imagine it kept sending power...so either you blew a fuse or the motor. Just my guess though. And iirc...the power windows/locks/mirrors are on the same fuse?

i just got in now from looking at the fuses. the fuse for the power locks and power mirrors is blown. it is a little purple fuse with the letter E on it. the power windows are fine.
everything else on the truck seems to work except the rear hatch. i could not remove the fuse for that. it is a big gray box looking thing that is plugged into the fuse box in the engine compartment. i guess i will try again tomorrow in the daylight and i will also use a set of needle nose pliers to remove it.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point

There's usually a fuse puller in the fuse box at the driver's end of the dash (open door to see the fuse box). The fuse puller is usually white plastic and a little tricky to remove. Helps a lot though with the new style tiny fuses.
There may be a puller in the under-hood fuse box too???

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM

yeah, the little purple fuse for the mirrors and door locks is easy to remove. i just did it. my problem is trying to remove the fuse for the rear hatch. the fuse is in the box in the engine comparment, and it is a gray colored box that i'm assuming is plugged into the fuse box. i tried pulling on it, it is real hard to get out. i could not pull it out. is there some sort of a secret to this? or should i keep trying with a pair of needle nose pliers? the fuse is too large for the little fuse puller that comes inside the fuse box. i'm afraid i'm going to break it when i am trying to pull it out

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
Irish10Hockey is an unknown quantity at this point

that is a relay you're referring too, there really is no trick to getting them out, especially if they're never been removed they can be a PIA. just keep going at it to try to get it out, try pulling others out from around it if possible to help get to it. once it's out, pull a similar swap it with the rear hatch relay to test if its good.