2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Question Tensioner question

Car: 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3L 2wd 4 door. The problom i am having happens to be the fact that i have heard my belt squek at times. The belt is a good year gator back and is about 1 year old. I was told that i need to tighten the belt but my bro told me that it cannot b tightend and that im going to have to replace the tensioner. THNX feed back is appriciated

Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i believe it's self tightening....

i think you are out of luck.
either bandaid it or try a new tensioner

Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

It has a spring loaded automatic tensioner so it can't be tightened manually. A new tensioner is around $35-40 and is about a ten minute job to change out on your truck.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

sure its the tensioner? check your idler pulley they squeak too

Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

what do you mean bandaid it? what do i check on the idler pully? do i just look a sweak or some thing else i should check

Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ExplicitYourSelf
what do you mean bandaid it? what do i check on the idler pully? do i just look a sweak or some thing else i should check

spray wd40 on the pulley when the engines off. then start it up and if it goes away immediatly then it could be the pulley. if it squeaks a little then goes away. its just lubricating the belt. which will lube whatever is squeaking, alternator pulley, tension, idler pulley, not much left after that..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to determine whether the belt is squeaking or one of the idlers is squeaking.

You can spray a little water ( or anything) on the belt while it's squeaking.. if it gets quiet then you know it's the Belt. if not, it's an idler. Belts can dry out in a year if they have been sitting on the Store shelf for a fewyears.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran

i would steer clear of any thing but rubber safe lube for obvious reasons....

water can cause squeaking too... i would give it a taste of some soap/chalk/foot powder. if you powder out the belt it will let you know if it's the belt. it wont last long (couple of days tops) but that should give you plenty of time to gauge whether or not it's a pulley or the belt itself.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Water comes through the radiator everytime it rains or you hit a puddle. A quick spritz on a squeaky belt to see if it gets quiet is fine. The squeak will stop for only a few seconds until the water dries off. Just enough for you to know if it's the Belt or not.

Also look at all the pulleys to make sure none are slightly ascrew.
Does it tend to squeak in the morning when the belt is cold and hard, then go away after a minute or two?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 PM
BF Veteran

yeah i should expand on what i posted i guess....

use rubber safe lube so what you squirt on there doesn't speed the deterioration of the belt...

and the water thing was meant to say "water on the belt can cause squeaking too"
not
"a small squirt of water will cause squeaking" ... like if you blast through a tire deep puddle you can get a nice squeak for a bit until it dries out....

Wasn't sharpshooting you Tony

Quick Reply: Tensioner question