2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Thoughts on buying 2nd gen. Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 06:26 PM
chase91 is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts on buying 2nd gen. Blazer

I would like any thoughts on buying a second gen. Blazer. I have had a 96' 4WD Blazer in the past that I absolutely loved but I sadly sold it which is a regret now. From my research.. It looks like you can buy a 96'-02' Blazer for around $2K that is in pretty decent shape. I would love to have another one as a "project" vehicle but I would like some thoughts from others that may have a little more experience in the area of reliability, parts pricing, etc. From my research, the 4.3L motors are pretty well made and if taken care will last a long time. I would like everyone's thoughts on buying a Blazer from the 96'-02' era and if it is a poor decision or great money investment in the future.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I've been trying to put together a list of the things Blazers, specifically my 99, can have trouble with. This is what comes to mind at the moment.
  • Auto transmissions can fail (the clutch packs especially) if the Blazer did much towing while in over-drive (I did this one to myself pulling a 2,200 lb trailer over mountain passes.)
  • Vacuum actuator hoses for the HVAC and 4WD under the hood can rot but this is an easy fix.
  • Idler arms can be worn out. Not hard to repair.
  • Pitman arms. Looks much harder than doing the idler arm.
  • Oil lines from back of block to remote oil filter. This is a PITA to do yourself but can be done. They will fail.
  • Cooling systems that have had Dexcool mixed with the green antifreeze. This can muck up the system apparently.
  • Lower intake manifold gaskets will fail dumping coolant into the oil pan.

Those are the things I'd plan to address with any 2nd gen Blazer.

I've addressed all of them except the LIM. I'm gambling I can get to spring and do the lower intake manifold gaskets then.

I'd be interested in what anyone else has to say on this.

Christine

Old 10-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

well Christine.........I'll chime in and say that you will probably bog down, heat up, and have to make a stop, wherever you might be, and when you least expect it......and I doubt that you will be in your driveway ;-).........I took the gamble and lost.....

The price of the gasket set is less than the multiple oil and filter changes, that you need to do, if you wait for the pan to fill with coolant...

I hope that you are using synthetic oil it seems to mix very well with the coolant.....I saved the milk chocolate that came out of mine and it has not separated like i have seen dino oil and water do???..........I think the syn oil protects internals better even under water.........that's my 2 cents.......

Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 PM
BF Veteran
Default intake manifold gaskets repair

Originally Posted by don james
well Christine.........I'll chime in and say that you will probably bog down, heat up, and have to make a stop, wherever you might be, and when you least expect it......and I doubt that you will be in your driveway ;-).........I took the gamble and lost.....

The price of the gasket set is less than the multiple oil and filter changes, that you need to do, if you wait for the pan to fill with coolant...

I hope that you are using synthetic oil it seems to mix very well with the coolant.....I saved the milk chocolate that came out of mine and it has not separated like i have seen dino oil and water do???..........I think the syn oil protects internals better even under water.........that's my 2 cents.......
Don,

You are making your case very well!

Dang it. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it before the snow-flies.

How long did it take you to do the mechanical part of the replacement? Anything else that should be replaced while I'm in there? Thermostat? EGR valve gasket? Valve cover gaskets (they come with the kit I mention below.)

I looked and it seems the gasket set to use is the Fel-Pro MS 98002 T with what looks to be the metal framed intake manifold gaskets. (link:
Federal-Mogul Motorparts)

Finally what oil do you use?

Christine

Last edited by christine_208; 10-19-2017 at 10:55 PM. Reason: forgot to include a question
Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM
Starting Member

I held back on the lower gaskets because i knew it would be more than i wanted to do.......But the blazer started running a little rough and i knew that i needed to do the spider job.......so that is as far as i got.........and put it back together.........ran very good....but in a week, I had it on my trailer hauling it back to the garage, for the LIM....what a dummy.....I should have dug a little deeper and done the whole job the first time............:-)........

I ended up doing more than double the work..because of the cleanup. The cost of three oil changes and filters was more costly than the gaskets.......

AND THEN...............:-)..........a week after i put it all back together, my plastic radiator decided to start leaking.........I would imagine that it got cleaned out when i flushed the system and unplugged a crack.........so ....tear down again.......new RAD. and hoses.............I did not change the water pump, .......so would not be surprised if it is next.........I like the blazer, but i hope i don't have to open the hood for a while..;-)

I did not do the valve cover gaskets........and i had already replaced the thermostat and RAD cap......cleaned egr up....and all air intake...

I really can't give you a time on my jobs, I'm an old man, i need a nap to think things over, frequently, :-)......I just don't have to be 'In a hurry" anymore.......so I'm not......

I use Valvoline full syn high mileage........ and i have 135k,

Last edited by don james; 10-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:24 AM
BF Veteran

I held back on the lower gaskets because i knew it would be more than i wanted to do.......But the blazer started running a little rough and i knew that i needed to do the spider job.......so that is as far as i got.........and put it back together.........ran very good....but in a week, I had it on my trailer hauling it back to the garage, for the LIM....what a dummy.....I should have dug a little deeper and done the whole job the first time............:-)........

I ended up doing more than double the work..because of the cleanup. The cost of three oil changes and filters was more costly than the gaskets.......

AND THEN...............:-)..........a week after i put it all back together, my plastic radiator decided to start leaking.........I would imagine that it got cleaned out when i flushed the system and unplugged a crack.........so ....tear down again.......new RAD. and hoses.............I did not change the water pump, .......so would not be surprised if it is next.........I like the blazer, but i hope i don't have to open the hood for a while..;-)

I did not do the valve cover gaskets........and i had already replaced the thermostat and RAD cap......cleaned egr up....and all air intake...

I really can't give you a time on my jobs, I'm an old man, i need a nap to think things over, frequently, :-)......I just don't have to be 'In a hurry" anymore.......so I'm not......

I use Valvoline full syn high mileage........ and i have 135k,
So I got my parts ordered for the LIM work. I even ordered a new thermostat even though I had forgotten I had replaced it 4 yrs ago back when I had to flush the cooling system when I also replaced all of the cooling system hoses. What I have not done is replace the water pump yet. Perhaps I should consider replacing it as preventative maintenance!

On a related note, seeing how my Blazer is 18 y.o. I was looking at options for its eventual replacement with another mid-sized SUV I could take off-pavement and to tow my boat. What I found was that I would have to spend at least $12k to get something that was equivalent to what I got in this Blazer when I purchased it in 2009 for $4k. I'm now leaning towards keeping my Blazer as long as I can!

Thanks for the advice!

Christine

Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Starting Member

How about the spider injection.......even if you have the original injection and it's doing ok.......I would also buy the ac or delphi spider and install it as well......

I like my little blazer, working on it keeps me away from the tv, shoot, I've got so much money in it now, I'll have to drive it until it dies ..or I die.......

Last edited by don james; 10-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran

How about the spider injection.......even if you have the original injection and it's doing ok.......I would also buy the ac or delphi spider and install it as well......

I like my little blazer, working on it keeps me away from the tv, shoot, I've got so much money in it now, I'll have to drive it until it dies ..or I die.......

Yep. I had the transmission rebuilt earlier this year which was not a small bill to pay. It is such a good little rig I hope to keep it for a while now.

BTW, I've order a new spider to install too. The one on my 92 Blazer 4.3l went out at about 140k miles.

Christine