2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Throttle input feels variable

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 03:35 PM
RedBlezer is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle input feels variable

Don’t know if I’m using the right terminology to describe my situation fyi.

Have always experienced random “sweet spots” under steady acceleration where the vehicle seems to Accelerate much more freely than before in the power band.
Now, at highway speeds, I’m experiencing the opposite, feels like a gust of wind is slowing me down or fuel isn’t making it to the injectors. No loss of rpm or sputtering, just feel a loss of power. Experience the sweet spots under highway speeds, and It happens under cruise control as well.

Regular 0-60 acceleration has always felt a little raw but no hesitation or symptoms like loss of power.

Recently replaced: a/c recharge, cv axle (L), both front hub bearings (timken), fuel filter (wix) and oil.
I cleaned the MAP sensor sometime last year and the air filter isn’t due for replacement (stock filter).

Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I think You should separate between the engine and the transmission problem.
If I were You, I'd connect the dongle to see the fuel trims, engine load and TPS live while driving. If the trims are around zero with a fluently changing TPS and load value then the engine is most probably doing right and it could be related to the transmission...

Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mike.308
I think You should separate between the engine and the transmission problem.
If I were You, I'd connect the dongle to see the fuel trims, engine load and TPS live while driving. If the trims are around zero with a fluently changing TPS and load value then the engine is most probably doing right and it could be related to the transmission...
Good place to start
fuel trims are are all around 0
tp% and load% are similar, sometimes tp% exceeds load% by 10 or 20p.
Didn’t notice any funky numbers when I’m experiencing the stuttering throttle symptom.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

By judging from Your fuel trims (You were observing Short/Terms ones too I hope) Your engine is doing fine.
So a transmission then? A TCC slip should throw a P1870 code. The transmission may have problems with applying the clutch packs if there is not enough oil volume(pressure) delivered to the piston. Also, there could be a worn off frictions in clutch packs.... So, could You say where are these dead/sweet spots? Dead spots after the shift sequence? Are they bond to 3-4th gear only?

Old 06-12-2019, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mike.308
By judging from Your fuel trims (You were observing Short/Terms ones too I hope) Your engine is doing fine.
So a transmission then? A TCC slip should throw a P1870 code. The transmission may have problems with applying the clutch packs if there is not enough oil volume(pressure) delivered to the piston. Also, there could be a worn off frictions in clutch packs.... So, could You say where are these dead/sweet spots? Dead spots after the shift sequence? Are they bond to 3-4th gear only?
Monitoring all trims yes.
No codes stored or pending.
Something like that would make sense, I should add the vehicle wont roll from a stop in Drive. (All callipers replaced in last year).
Nothing dependant on shift sequences or gears, feels like a fuel cut and mostly notice it holding steady rpms on highway. But have noticed it more in the city now.