Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Timing, Backfire and Starting Issues (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/timing-backfire-starting-issues-54862/)

stillblazin' 01-31-2011 01:01 PM

Timing, Backfire and Starting Issues

Hello all. I have been a lurker for a long time, and this is my first post. Some time ago, I replaced my lower intake manifold gaskets on our 2000 Chevy Blazer. The truck ran great prior to my work, other than the evident coolant loss that I could see was from the worn gasket. Now the truck will not stay running.
Since the change, I have studied and done all that I can to get the timing correct, according to the threads posted in the DIY forums. It has sat most of the winter with no work done, as it was too cold in the garage to be messing with it. Now I have been trying to get it going again. When I turn the key, the Blazer will start and run very nicely, but for only a few seconds, and then jumps and sputters eventually dying, often with a backfire or succession of small backfires. Sometimes I can keep it running for a minute or so, but only by feathering the gas pedal (and idle is then quite rough).
Now, a few questions: 1) Would the truck start and run if the distributor were 180 degrees out? 2) Could a dirty MAF sensor or EGR Valve be responsible? 3) After draining and replacing the oil, it still looks watered down. Is this from remnants of water that were originally in the engine, or did i do a poor installation of the gaskets?
My other Blazer (a 1995) is still running after 230,000 miles, but getting weak, and I would really like to figure out how to get the 2000 back on the road. As I said, it rand fine for many years before I tried to replace the gaskets. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am willing to try any solutions that you all could offer. Sorry for the long post, and Thanks for your time. ~John in Wisconsin

stillblazin' 02-01-2011 12:32 PM

Bump....Still looking for a little insight or help to the three questions that I posted. Thanks!

stillblazin' 02-03-2011 05:52 PM

2nd bump. If anyone could please give me any help to any of the three questions that I asked, I would be very grateful. I know that many of you out there are far more knowlegeable than I am. I hav eno way to read codes, but may have a friend who has a portable unit. Will it only read codes if the truck is running?

chevycrazy2011 02-19-2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by stillblazin' (Post 405361)
2nd bump. If anyone could please give me any help to any of the three questions that I asked, I would be very grateful. I know that many of you out there are far more knowlegeable than I am. I hav eno way to read codes, but may have a friend who has a portable unit. Will it only read codes if the truck is running?

yeah it can run 180 out it just will fire with valves open.. im in the same boot but finally figured it out.. didn't see the arrow on the distrib to point the rotor at whoops