2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Towing with 98 Blazer LS 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
lt1_madness is on a distinguished road
Default Towing with 98 Blazer LS 4wd

Hey everyone, we just recently got a 98 Blazer LS 4wd with 182k miles on the clock and a receiver hitch on the bumper. It didn't come with an owner's manual so we're clueless about how much weight it can pull. We're going to the use the vehicle for pulling an enclosed Uhaul trailer cross country from California to Texas. I've never pulled a trailer with a small SUV before so I got a few questions for y'all.

1) What's the weight rating on the factory tow package?

2) Is an additional tranny cooler absolutely necessary?

3) Which gear should be should while towing? D or 3?

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

My 98 owners manual says 3.08 axle is 4000 lbs and 3.42 & 3.73 is 5000 lbs.
Owners manual also says to use "D" except when on grades then shift down and drive at 45 mph.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Day! First: Do NOT tow in OD! Very important!
One can pull up to 5000lbs with these CARS! (they are not trucks)
The tramsmission will overheat and FAIL if you attempt to cruise
with a heavy wagon attached in OD! Even though you have an easy road to run,
keep it in 3rd! You are going to spend more fuel anyway Hauling!
Keep your tranny safe! Change the the fluid & filter first too!
Good Luck and may the wind be at your back!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason NOT to tow in OD is if the transmission is continuously hunting for the right gear or the torque converter is unlocked most of the time. If your truck can sustain speed without going out of lockup, you will not overheat anything. If the torque converter is unlocking or it is continuously down shifting, then drop back to 3rd.

A tranny cooler is cheap insurance and is one of the first things I add to any vehicle I own regardless of whether it will be towing or not. Heat is the #1 enemy of automatic transmissions.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
lt1_madness is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Beginning Member
JIM MACGILLIVRAY is on a distinguished road

Does anyone happen to know if there is an opitional tranny cooler /auxilary cooler ,that is available with factory tow package,that is ,1. regular trans cooler ,plus a 2nd cooler or auxilary ,where would that 2nd cooler be located. I have a 94 LS tahoe /blazer with factory tow package. Thanks for help.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lt1_madness
Hey everyone, we just recently got a 98 Blazer LS 4wd with 182k miles on the clock and a receiver hitch on the bumper. It didn't come with an owner's manual so we're clueless about how much weight it can pull. We're going to the use the vehicle for pulling an enclosed Uhaul trailer cross country from California to Texas. I've never pulled a trailer with a small SUV before so I got a few questions for y'all.

1) What's the weight rating on the factory tow package?

2) Is an additional tranny cooler absolutely necessary?

3) Which gear should be should while towing? D or 3?

Thanks for your help!
a picture of your hitch please
your description makes me think you have a hitch bolted to the bumper
A hitch bolted to the frame @ the bumper mounts has a much higher capacity

Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JIM MACGILLIVRAY
Does anyone happen to know if there is an opitional tranny cooler /auxilary cooler ,that is available with factory tow package,that is ,1. regular trans cooler ,plus a 2nd cooler or auxilary ,where would that 2nd cooler be located. I have a 94 LS tahoe /blazer with factory tow package. Thanks for help.
I got one from amazon for my 03 CC, simple install. Comes with hoes and the hose barbs to connect it to the radiator. https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-...67-3239467&sr=

Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I installed one of these on my 98. 220K miles on the original trans with fluid & filter changes every 36K miles: Buy Imperial Maxi-Kool® XL Transmission Oil Cooler 243012 at Advance Auto Parts It's rated for a class A motorhome towing a 10,000 pound trailer. A bit of overkill for a Blazer, but it's cheap insurance.

It fits perfectly in front of the A/C condenser, passenger side of the hood latch support. Must remove the grille to install it. The OEM trans cooler in the radiator was totally bypassed. At the 200 mile mark of a 250 trip, the scan tool indicated trans fluid temp was 91F, (61F above ambient). Bypassing the OEM cooler allows greater cooling capacity for engine coolant & engine oil as well. Total install time, about 2 hours. I wouldn't pull anything without a cooler on these vehicles.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member
JIM MACGILLIVRAY is on a distinguished road

Thanks for info,however ,they indicate at advanced auto,that this does not fit my 97 blazer, type error ? or whatever,but it looks to me like it should bolt right in there as mentioned, in front of a/c condenser. how does it plumb or join into the system ? you mentioned that it bypassed oem trans cooler in the rad. Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Towing with 98 Blazer LS 4wd