2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trailer hitch wiring for '96

Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Strick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailer hitch wiring for '96

I have done a little searching around, and it seems that there is a gap avoiding the early 2nd generation Blazer/Jimmy for a "plug in" trailer harness. I assume these vehicles are without, and I need a universal harness. If this is correct, can anyone recommend a particular harness? Also, any DIY instructions? It'd be nice to get it installed this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Trailer hitch wiring for '96

well you can start by going to autozone if one is near they have the plug mine came with a 4 prong plug i think that is factory just a start for information for you good luck

Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Some have the plug already, and most have the wires out back behind the bumper...

Drivers side for a 4 door, passenger side for a 2 door...

What kind of connector are you planning on wiring in?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine had the wires taped on the driver side under the rear bumper and I just had to buy the type of connector that I needed and attach the wires.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the quick replies so far.

I am not even sure what I need to put on, connector wise. I'll investigate the trailer and find out more info. What I was more concerned about at the moment was whether or not my Jimmy had any pre-existing wiring for a trailer. Good to hear there is a possibility........I might sneak out in the garage during the next break from the VT/BC football game to see if I can see anything.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM

I found the wiring ziptied up near the back bumper. I haven't completely unsheated the wiring yet, but it appears that there are 5 wires. Dont most common trailers use a 6 pin connector?

Old 10-26-2007, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Actually, the most common ones I see are either 7 pin or 4 pin, lol.

5 wires should be park lights, left brake/signal, right brake/signal, reverse lights and ground.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Ok I just picked up my trailer........it has a 4 pin harness. I gave the trailer harness a quick glimpse, but I would imagine the wire coloring is probably the same for the coordinating wires on the truck. Anyone have an idea of each wire color/assignment?

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Burlisonm is an unknown quantity at this point

All of the trailers and such that I have pulled were a 4 pin harness and about the 5 wires, if you read the diagram that the harness comes with and the wires that you have there is one (I think that it might be blue) that is not needed and can be cut and put a wire nut on which would leave you with 4 wires and nice new harness that works.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran

I don't know how different the 4 pin wire colors are from the 7 pin, so I can't help, lol

but if you have a test light, you'll be good to go...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer hitch wiring for '96