2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Jimmy Dash/Electrical/Ignition problem's

Old 11-23-2008, 08:39 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Jimmy Dash/Electrical/Ignition problem's

Hello folks, I have some weird electrical problems that have really started to drive me nut's.
A week ago, the first wife parked the Jimmy and the sucker would not re-start. Some good folk's from where she worked try to start it with no success.
I got back into town and tried to start it, theengine turned over strong butit would not fire up.
I noticed that when the key was switched to the "on" position (before the starter is engaged), there were no dummy lights coming on and no fuel pump noise.

Ichecked all the fuses at the side of the dash on the driver's side and they were all fine.
Now...don't scold me...but I pulled the tilt steeringknob back and cranked the wheel up and down (standing outside the truck, cause I don't trust the air bag even though the fuse was pulled) anyway....all the dash lights came on and the fuel pump ranbut would still not fire up. I had enough that night...it was freezing out.

Iwent at it again the next night,cranked the wheel up and downtill the lights came on, turned her over...and it fired up.
I got it home,turned off the ignition,tried to re-start and hadno dash lights again.

I removed the plastic uppr/lwr shroud around the steering column to look for a pinched or lose wire somewhere but did not find anything (there is a wack of wires around there)

I did notice that a modual type do-dad was a little loose below the ignition switch (2 small wires go to a white plastic terminalon top of the ignition key area) I tightened the two screws and wow...it worked about twenty times in a row.

I went out today...no dash lights again.

I read a pile of post's on this wonderfull sight, some folk's had similar, but not exactly the same problem.

From what I learned here, it could be the battery or the ignition switch,I borrowed a new battery(friends in high places) but the problem persists.

If it is the ignition switch,how the heck do you get at it and is there aprocedure to follow to do it right the first time.

Thanks Guy's

Best Regard's
Chris

Old 11-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 96 Jimmy Dash/Electrical/Ignition problem's

It definitely sounds like the ignition switch is at fault here. There is a post in the DIY section that centers around the 98+ 2nd gens, but a lot of it should be very similar to the 95-97 trucks as well.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 PM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point

what i would do, its just me though, is replace the electrical part of the ignition switch. and check everything under the dash in that area.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

another vote for the ignition switch-get an ACDelco, do it on[&:]ce and be done! JP

Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the advice Guy's
I priced a new switch ...$189.00 + tax ....ouch

I stopped in to a NAPA store on the way home from work.
The counter person showed me a picture of the switch on his computer.
I was suprised it was not just a modual, that would be replaced after removing the wire harness.

Turns out it is a plug with the wire harness sold as one unit

The replacement procedure looks like a nightmare, but thank you for pointing it out....Time to sharpen the axe.

Best Regard's
Chris

Old 11-24-2008, 08:46 PM
blazin8556 is an unknown quantity at this point

Auto zone would be cheaper, if not they will price match.