2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Tranny problem even after rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Tranny problem even after rebuild?

Bear with me here...I got an email (not PM) from what I think is a member...not really sure though as he has yet to actually post on here...

I'm no transmission expert..so I'm of absolutely zero help to this guy (Don't really even know why he picked me to email actually..)

But here's his email..I replied with a link to this thread.

Hello, last mont I repaired the 4l60E transmission of my chevy s10 blazer 1998 4wd ls, because it has problems with the first and second speeds, it only worked with the 3th and 4th. I changed every thing, discs, electronic parts, etc. But, today it stills with the same problem. When that occurs, I just restart the engine and then the problem is gone. I checked the codes with a scanner and every thing is good. I don't know what is happening. I think maybe it would be the computer, but I don't know. Thanks for any help.

Att,

Jorge Cabrera, Cartagena, Colombia.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Tranny problem even after rebuild?

Need more information... When does this happen? Under what conditions (cruising, under power, stopped, etc)? Fully warmed up or not?

It definitely sounds like a computer issue, however, one thing that isn't mentioned is if the PCM had the transmission learned values reset. Disconnecting the battery will not do this.

Also, who did the work on the transmission? If it was a shop, what do they have to say about it...? Seems that if a repair that they suggested did not fix the problem, you are in for a refund on the labor!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
jotacabo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tranny problem even after rebuild?

Thanks for your answer swartlkk. This happens at not all times. Normally, at the first day run, when the engine is cold, but in some cases, even when the engine is hot and running. I really don't know about "the PCM had the transmission learned values reset", I understand that the PCM has some values by default about the transmission?, or, some values can be "learned" by the PCM and, even if transmission was repaired, the PCM thinks it is still with a failure because it don't be reset? Thank you.