2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

transer case full of fluild help me out...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 PM
muleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transer case full of fluild help me out...

so i was gonna do a flush and fill on my transfer case... took the top inspection plug off and ATF fluild cam pouring out... i dont think that is good, think i got a seal bad... anybody got a how to do fix??? Does anybody got the part number i need for the seal??? Does the entire transfer have to come off to fix?? help me out.. how big of a job is this.. any help would be thanked ..

1996 zr2 blazer 4x4...........................................manu al handle in floor for the 4x4..............

Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough
Default RE: transer case full of fluild help me out...

The transfer case uses ATF as lube, you sure somebody just didn't overfill it?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:31 PM

i dont think it has ever been serviced.. i have been loosing tranny fluid also and its not on the ground or milky looking which leads me to think it is leaking in the transfer case.. i also found some ATF in my vaccum ball canister, i dont think that is normal or is a little OK????

Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a seal failure, I don't know the part #.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:06 AM

does the entire transfer case have to come off to repair??? is the seal the input seal or the output seal that would cause this... thanks.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 AM

so i guess it is a input shaft seal... Think that is right?? anybody got a blow up of a transfer case so i can get a idea of where this seal is?? also my blazer is a 1996 ZR2 manual 4x4 in the floor, i think the transfer case in mine is a New Process 231, yet i am not sure how can i fine this out so i can get the right seal... and when i pull the transfer case off is all the tranny fluild in the transmisson going to flow out as well?? just trying to get a game plan before i tear into this beast.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 AM

what number on this pic is the seal i need....

Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

#29 is the input seal. That is what you need to replace. And yes, the transfer case needs to come off to replace it.

If you have ATF in the vacuum ball, you will also need to replace the vacuum switch on the transfer case while you are working on things. This is #36 in the exploded view you attached. Replacing the vacuum switch will not get the ATF out of the vacuum system though. Lets hope you do not have it all the way up in the HVAC controls! You need to flush all of the vacuum lines to get the ATF out before it can ruin the actuators in the system (4wd and HVAC).

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM

hey swartlkk ,, could i just disconnect the vacuum hose off of the vacuum ball and after i get the transfer case out just blow the hose out with compressed air?? and how could i tell if i got the ATF all the way up to the HVAC controls.. thanks

Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can check the HVAC controls by removing the control module in the dash and looking at the supply line. If the supply line is clean, then you got lucky and the transmission fluid did not make its way to the HVAC controls.

About cleaning it, compressed air would work for getting the majority of it out.