2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transfer Case Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough
Default Transfer Case Brackets

Just for my edification, I have a question about my ’98 Blazer ZR2 2dr 4WD Vortec 4.6L NVG3500 Manual Transmission, NV233 Transfer Case. For some background, some of you may have already read my previous posts and know that I dropped the transmission to replace the clutch set. I picked this Blazer up about a month or so ago. While I had the tranny out I did numerous other things like engine mounts, transfer case switch, vacuum lines, etc. The PO had apparently did some work on the transmission (and did a half-assed job at that). Must have had a whole pile of extra parts when he was done with the job

My question concerns two brackets/braces, one on each side of the transmission. These attach at the bell-housing using long bell-housing to engine bolts. The other end of these attach to the transfer case. The brackets were missing from my truck when I dropped the transmission. Both the Technical Service Manual (TSM) and Haynes manual refer to these brackets. While the TSM is ’98 Blazer specific, as you know the Haynes manual covers multiple years beginning with 1994-2003 (off the top of my head).

So, I just got back from the “EZ-Pull” yard. I must have checked 20-30 different Blazer’s and Jimmy’s for the brackets. After awhile I thought maybe it only was for manual transmissions (which the TSM does state “For NV3500..”) I finally found them on the exact vehicle I have…except it had an automatic transmission. It wasn’t like all the vehicles I checked had the brackets removed previously. I’m pretty sure most, if not all, didn’t have them in the first place.

Based off the fact of how heavy the transfer case is, and it is only connected/supported by five bolts where it bolts to the transmission, aren’t these brackets a must have? It just strikes me that even with the mate of the transmission output shaft-to-transfer input shaft, that strikes me as still a lot of stress to be just hanging there. Why do the manuals refer to these brackets, but so many Blazers/Jimmys not have them? Or am I just being overly concerned? Is the transfer suspended/supported by the five bolts and shafts mating enough? Are the brackets something that started with the 1998s? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

By the way, I called these brackets when the proper nomenclature is "transmission-to-transfer case braces". Does anyone have any idea on answers to my original questions? Really curious. I know I do have a habit of overkill...but I really am interested in knowing if my trip to the junk yard to pull the braces and then install them on my Blazer was necessary...or just overkill.