2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transfer Case fluid change questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member
Clay_Assassin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transfer Case fluid change questions

Transfer Case fill level ?

With winter coming, I’ve been getting all the maintenance items I can done on my ’98 blazer so it runs well through the snow.

I decided to change the transfer case fluid. I bought the truck with 75k on the clock, and it’s on 130k now, so best to get it done.

Service manual says to fill it to the top plug level. So I figure I’ll pull the top plug first. If I cant get the top plug off, better not drain it just yet.

I pull out the top plug, and it dumps a good half quart of tranny fluid on the street?!

Was it overfilled? Or can trans fluid leak from the transmission back to the transfer case?

I could only get about 2 quarts back in when I refilled it. Manual says 2.3 is the capacity, so I’m pretty close.

Please share your knowledge. And what devices do you guys use to refill? The gizmo I used was poor at best. I was so disappointed in the mess it makes, I tossed it. There has to be something better for filling differentials and transfer cases, etc.

Thanks,

Old 09-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Transfer Case fluid change questions

If the transfer case input seal is leaking, transmission fluid can enter the transfer case.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the best method to top the tcase fluids off? hand pump? Or is there another simple trick?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have used various methods. The least messy is with a hand pump, but then you have to clean the pump.

I have used a flexible container that I had a hose barb attached to the cap of. With a long tube attached to the cap, just turn the container upside down and squeeze. You want to be sure that the cap is on tight and that the hose is not going to come loose, but this method works as well.

Fill until it starts to drip out of the fill port.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

No problem!