2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transfer case removal guide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Starting Member
dj00140 is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case removal guide?

Does any have a good np233 transfer case removal guide with pictures? I have a 97 Blazer 4x4 thats leaking tranny fluid from in between the t-case and tranny after I got my used t-case put in. A guide would really help me or even a video!

So I have to remove the transfer case from my truck and have never done it before to replace seals. I can handle the drive shafts. After that I unbolt the tranny crossmember and jack up the tranny under the tranny fluid pan? Is that strong enough to support it? And then just unbolt the t-case and take it out? When I unbolt it will it just fall out on me do I need a second jack for that also? Can I do it without unbolting the tranny mounts and crossmember?

Any other tips would be very appreciated!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are on the right track. The TC weighs about 60lb. Another jack is not a bad idea, but I've done it by hand.

Be sure to replace the tranny seal before you go back together.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Sounds about right.

But if you are looking for a tranny seal, you might be disappointed. What billbobagns is talking about is the transfer case input seal.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member
lynnboy021 is on a distinguished road

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT
  1. Negative battery cable.
    1. Transfer case shield.
      1. Front and rear propeller shafts.

1. Vent line and electrical connections.

1. Transfer case shift cable at the transfer case (NV231 only).

1. Bolts and stud securing the right and left side transfer case braces to the transfer case and transmission.

1. Bolts securing the transfer case to transmission.
        1. Shift control cable bracket.
        2. Transfer case.
        3. Gasket.
        INSTALL OR CONNECT
        1. New gasket to the transmission.
          1. Transfer case to the vehicle.
          2. Shift control cable bracket.
          3. Transfer case to transmission with bolts.

1. Bolts and stud securing the right and left side transfer case braces to the transfer case and transmission.
              1. Shift cable to the transfer case lever (NV231 only).
              2. Vent line and electrical connection.
              3. Front and rear propeller shafts.
              4. Transfer case shield.
              5. Fill the transfer case with oil.
                1. Negative battery cable.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 AM
                Starting Member

Thanks that helps... So the only thing holding it in is the 5 bolts and the tranny mount supports it? And then I just jack up the tranny under the pan (is that strong enough?) and then since I will have to turn the t-case, just bench press it out?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 AM
                Administrator
                swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 12" long 2x10 that I use with my jack for lifting against engine and transmission pans. Works great at spreading out the load. You aren't lifting the whole truck with it, just the back of the transmission.

The transfer case can be somewhat of a pain to get out from between the transmission, exhaust, and the torsion bar mount. It will have to be rotated around and moved to one side (driver side IIRC) to clear, but yeah, you basically bench press it out.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
                Starting Member

Hmmm that gives me an idea, could I take a 4 foot 2x4 and s;ide it on top of the fram rails or torsion bars and under the transmission tailshaft to hold up the tranny. Like a tranny mount just moved forward? Im guessing the exhaust or something will get in the way but If it fit would this work? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:27 AM
                Administrator

That should work as well. On torsion bar front ends, I have used a block of wood and a ratchet strap to lift/hold the transmission as well.

And LOL @ the Alldata image filename rolling. lynnboy021, you cannot copy/paste from AllData, they randomize their image filenames and rotate them periodically to counter exactly what you have done. Just an FYI.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:51 AM
                Beginning Member

ya i know like wtf i bought the software and i am helping someone and now its showing something else lol i can just see that someone has the same problem and he is going to do what its on here now lol. next time i wil print it and scan it or send it us mail how is that alldata lol j/k

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM
                Beginning Member

i forgot to add i hope he print the info i gave him

Quick Reply: Transfer case removal guide?