2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transition? Wiring? Transfer case? Sigh.....

Old 09-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Beginning Member
hunterswyv is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Transition? Wiring? Transfer case? Sigh.....

Automatic 95 blazer Lt 4x4: So I’ve had her for about three weeks now, and problems, problems, problems. Like unsolvable to me problems. Maybe it’s a Chevy thing; my family is a Ford family so I grew up dealing with them not Chevys. Not even sure where to star or if I’m in the right area. So to star, like I said, ’95 Lt Blazer, dude I got it from swapped a 96 vortec into it, meaning that he had got a different Trans to. He also put new radio in, and let me tell you the wiring was HORRIBLE (Almost caught my dash on fire) so I’m guessing the wiring he did underneath for the Trans is just as bad, because Trans fuse keeps blowing (when it does make contact) Fuse port for the trans is loose on the inside but obviously still makes contact if it blows the fuse. Borrowed some tools form my mechanical neighbor and checked the fuse port, it read fine, so that can’t be my problem? There’s got to be a short somewhere. When I got this Blazer it seemed to run fine besides the hole in the exhaust pipe. Shortly after I come to find it only has 2nd and 3rd gear (1st acted as 2nd and OD acted as 3rd.) about a week ago I lost 3rd. I tried replacing shift solenoids but did no good due to the Trans fuse kept blowing sending the Transition into ‘limp mode’. So being that I kept running out of fuses, I went down the road to o'reillys to get more. There lot is bit difficult to get in and out of if your tires rub at all (trimming fenders are on my list to do) so I found myself at a weird angle on a hill. So I put it is R and slipped on the fresh rain, and not sure what happened here… all of sudden I either have first AND ONLY 1st OR I just engaged 4wd? Sitting at 3k rpm+ at 30-35 mph. The Hell??!?!?! Now I’m lost. I never had 1st working in the first place! And now it’s all I have!? Before I ‘lost’ 2nd… I had taken the tccm out because it kept clicking? Like maybe it was trying to engage or what I have no clue! I don’t know what to do where to star anymore. Out of the three weeks I’ve had her, there was once clicked on the 4wd, only because I was curious, and it was flashing. After that I couldn’t disengage it! Hade to remove tccm, unhook wiring harness from transfer case and disconnect battery and who know how I did it but in disengaged. There’s not a fuse in for the 4x4 and I unhooked the 4x4 switches so I would accidently engage it. Please just try to find someone who maybe has had or heard of this problem. Could the transition issue be just wiring? Or some sort of sensor? OR could the transfer case be wrong/ bad to the point it would cause these problems? I’ve done everything a girl can do, just can’t wrap my brain around this one. Please anyone just let me know what I can do more. I’m at a standstill here.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

95 & 96 engine controls are totally different... PCM's, wire harnesses, fuel delivery systems, sensors etc. Without some SERIOUS rewiring, part swapping, and modifications, you'll have endless problems.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

Thats what I was afraid of

Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Don't misunderstand, it can be done, but it involves a lot of work. If you, (or the guy you bought it from) have the parts from the donor vehicle, (the 96) we can walk you through it.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member

Can't it be any 96? first things firt I need to figre out what he did replace. Seem there are alot of blazers on craigslist partting out. hahaha

Old 09-20-2013, 08:12 PM

From the factory, your 95 could have had any one of 3 different computer control systems, 2 different fuel delivery systems, and 2 different ignition systems. We would need to know exactly which combination it had originally. The build date might reveal a clue as to what it had originally, but no guarantee. The build date can be found on the sticker on the driver door jamb. Another option would be to upgrade everything to 1996, which would require a serious amount of retro fitting and adapting of wire harnesses, etc.