2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

TRANSMISSION GOES IN AND OUT OF TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:45 AM
blazerrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRANSMISSION GOES IN AND OUT OF TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK.

WHEN DRIVING AT ABOUT 50 MPH TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK UP ENGAGES AND DISENGAGES EVERY TIME UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION GIVING ME A FLUXUATION OF 150 RPM'S OR SO AND KEEPS DOING IT AS LONG AS I'M AT THIS SPEED. STOPS DOING IT WHEN I REACH 65 MPH AND UP. HAD A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT RECENTLY. WHEN I PULLED THE CODE IT WAS JUST A P0128 WHICH WAS "COOLANT TEMP. LOWER THAN THERMOSTAT TEMP." I DON'T THINK THAT WOULD CAUSE MY TCC PROBLEM. I CLEARED THAT CODE AND HAS NOT COME BACK NOW FOR ABOUT 100 MILES. BUT WHATS UP WITH MY TRANNY? SOUNDS LIKE TSB #990730016A . COULD NOT FIND THE TSB SUMMARY.

Old 12-21-2005, 02:01 AM
LittleDan911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: TRANSMISSION GOES IN AND OUT OF TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK.

My Engine Light Pulled at Same Code p0128 But I Haven't Noticed Any Tranny Probs Yet I Replaced The Coolant Temp Sensor On The Intake (Left Side Sitting In Driver Seat And It Has Stayed Off Since.... So Your Getting Crapy MPG I'm Guessing Cause Mine Did When That Code Poped Up Cause That Sensor Is Saying That The Engine Is Still Cold And Throws More Fuel At It Tryin To Warm It Up But Your Temp Gauge Will Work Fine..Well THat Was My Prob I'll Have To C If My Trans Is Forked Up

Old 12-21-2005, 06:03 AM

I WAS GOING TO REPLACE THE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR IF MY LIGHT WERE TO COME BACK ON. MY TEMP USUALLY READS ABOUT 170 TO 180 F. HOWEVER I WAS GETTING PRETTY BAD GAS MILEAGE. MY NEXT OPTION WAS TO CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT AND FLUSH THE COOLING SYSTEM. I DROPPED THE TRUCK OFF TODAY AT A REAPIR SHOP TO SEE WHAT THEY TELL ME ABOUT THE TCC PROBLEM IF THEY FIX IT I'LL POST IT AND IF THEY DON'T I'LL STILL POST UP. TO LET YOU KNOW. HEY DAN NICE TRUCK DARK GREY IS HARD TO FIND.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As stated in your other thread: TRANSMISSION TROUBLE (TCC)

The ECT does have an influence on the TCC. It controls the lockup of the TCC while the engine is warming up. Before the ECT reads 160*F, the TCC is constantly slipping to provide more RPMs which results in higher heat buildup (faster warmup time).

That said, the New Member Area is not the proper section to have tech questions. It is for New Member introductions only. And please refrain from typing all in CAPs. It is bad forum ediquette and it does not draw more attention to your posts, if anything, it probably draws even less attention because it makes you look like you are impatient and shouting at everyone.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:28 PM

I'm just a new guy sorry about the shouting I didn't mean to yell. Alright I figured it out I think, since I don't have my loggin set as a cookie it somewhat logs me out after a while and what happened was when I saw the failed or not authorized message appear on the screen it meant that I wasn't allowed to post a thread yet seeming that I had just signed up to this forum yesterday. I made a mistake sorry about that and, the caps. I won't let it happen again, Bad me!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey Blazerick

Good to have another Missourian on this site. Looks like the others have your problem worked out for now. I hope you enjoy this site.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Hey Blazerick

Ooops...I missed that one in the daily read-throughs.

I've moved it to the proper section here in Gen. Tech.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

Dang it mOOnwater, now I have another off topic post in the Gen Tech area!!

[&:]

Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I'll forgive you this time

Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazerrick

WHEN DRIVING AT ABOUT 50 MPH TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK UP ENGAGES AND DISENGAGES EVERY TIME UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION GIVING ME A FLUXUATION OF 150 RPM'S OR SO AND KEEPS DOING IT AS LONG AS I'M AT THIS SPEED. STOPS DOING IT WHEN I REACH 65 MPH AND UP. HAD A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT RECENTLY. WHEN I PULLED THE CODE IT WAS JUST A P0128 WHICH WAS "COOLANT TEMP. LOWER THAN THERMOSTAT TEMP." I DON'T THINK THAT WOULD CAUSE MY TCC PROBLEM. I CLEARED THAT CODE AND HAS NOT COME BACK NOW FOR ABOUT 100 MILES. BUT WHATS UP WITH MY TRANNY? SOUNDS LIKE TSB #990730016A . COULD NOT FIND THE TSB SUMMARY.

What year is your Blazer? 92-95 uses vacuum for TCC control, if you have to much of a vacuum leak, your torque converter will display the simptoms you describe. I had the same thing happen on my 93 model. Check your vacuum connections starting with the short 1/4" vacuum hose off the right rear corner of the upper intake plenum. This traces to a 4 way split, one hose running down to the tranny, very hard to trace, another going to your vacuum dash controls, another to cruise control, and the last going to the vacuum canister. A leak in any of these will cause your torque converter to freak out as if someone is tapping the brakes fast and random.

You have two temp sending units. One for the gauge (pre 1996 models, located in the right head), the other for the ECM (pre 1996 models, located in the right front of the lower intake plenum (right being the passenger side of the vehicle). The one in the head for the temp gauge has no bearing on anything but the gauge.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION GOES IN AND OUT OF TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK.