2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transmission toast?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member
peenar is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission toast?

So I noticed after I put my 96 sl back on the road, that the trans had a bit of delayed engagement. Checked the fluid, it was fine. Was running fine for. Couple of weeks.

Today heading home and I slowly lost acceleration till I pulled over and put it park. then was smoking from the trans and sounded like shot Bearings.

I wasn't far from home so tried to drive like 10kph, I had no gears. After being fine for 2 weeks this all of a sudden happens. I re checked the fluid and phew it did not smell good

Old 02-11-2019, 08:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I'm no transmission expert, but sounds like it's time for a rebuild, to me

Old 02-12-2019, 10:10 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I would agree, sounds like the Tranny is shot... This past summer my Tranny kicked the bucket, lost high gear, could only run about 30mph. My local shop wanted $800 to rebuild it but I found a used 1 in a junk yard for $300 and saved a bunch of money...

Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by go chevy
I would agree, sounds like the Tranny is shot... This past summer my Tranny kicked the bucket, lost high gear, could only run about 30mph. My local shop wanted $800 to rebuild it but I found a used 1 in a junk yard for $300 and saved a bunch of money...
That's really cheap for a rebuild. Shops around me were wanting $1400 to rebuild mine.

Luckily, my massive leak was just the cooler lines, and not the front seal like I thought. R&R to replaced the seal was $600, and I figured if it's out, might as well have it rebuilt.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
That's really cheap for a rebuild. Shops around me were wanting $1400 to rebuild mine.

Luckily, my massive leak was just the cooler lines, and not the front seal like I thought. R&R to replaced the seal was $600, and I figured if it's out, might as well have it rebuilt.
Where I live things are much cheaper compared to the rest of the country from what I see on here lol! I knew I was "rolling the dice" on the junk yard Tranny, but so far it has acted like a champ... It did come with a 30 day warranty, oh joy

Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Beginning Member
peenar is on a distinguished road
Default 4L60E rebuild.

How hard is it to rebuild one. I have mechanical knowledge just not with transmissions

Old 02-12-2019, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran

Where I live things are much cheaper compared to the rest of the country from what I see on here lol! I knew I was "rolling the dice" on the junk yard Tranny, but so far it has acted like a champ... It did come with a 30 day warranty, oh joy
Since you got the old one out, might as well try your hand at rebuilding it yourself!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Since you got the old one out, might as well try your hand at rebuilding it yourself!
Had to use the old one as a core... Plus I am no where near the mechanic you are and most of the others on here Simple things, plugs and wires, oil change, replacing a burnt out bulb ect... I am "king of the world" lollllll.........

Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran

Had to use the old one as a core... Plus I am no where near the mechanic you are and most of the others on here Simple things, plugs and wires, oil change, replacing a burnt out bulb ect... I am "king of the world" lollllll.........
Ah, the ol core charge got ya.

And I'm no mechanic by any means lol. I just have a good collection of tools, and the mindset of "it's already broke, can't make it any worse!"

Seriously, diagnosing is the hard part. After that, it's just turning wrenches and swapping parts out.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by peenar
How hard is it to rebuild one. I have mechanical knowledge just not with transmissions
I personally have no clue! From what I have seen on here from others, it can be done... I admit there are things beyond my personal "comfort zone" and a Tranny is definately 1 of them

Quick Reply: Transmission toast?