2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trick to removing PCV valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trick to removing PCV valve?

Okay,I am no moron and I am pretty strong and I have decided to pull my PCV valve and clean or replace it. I have been pulling on it as hard as I can and it won't budge. I dont want to break the hoses, anything anyone reccommends? 29k miles on truck

Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Trick to removing PCV valve?

sure you got the right spot? cause i changed mine a couple weeks ago and i havce 84,000k miles and it popped right out, search for PCV replacement and theres alot of threads on replacing it with pics

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

What side is it stuck in the valve cover or the rubber line. Mine that was 11 years old original I just changed was easy to get out of the valve cover and took a little wiggling to get out of the rubber house. Just to make sure you are pulling on the right thing the pcv valve is on the drivers side valve cover all the way back toward the firewall. It should be in a rubber grommet thing that stays in the valve cover.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Starting Member

Yes I am pulling on the pcv valve on the driver valve cover near the firewall. Do I need to yank the rubber grommet out with it or should it pop out of that? Is it easier to pull the 3/8 tube of first?

thanks

Old 02-05-2009, 04:04 PM

The rubber grommet should stay in the engine. The pcv came out easiest out of the valve cover I think you need a little room to wiggle the hose end off otherwise you may pull the hose off on its other end.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Starting Member

Okay, I have tried everything to remove this PCV valve. I even had my local mechanic that I trust look at it after we did a radiator flush. He tried to remove it and said to make sure that you don't have to remove the valve cover for this model year. He said he wasnt 100% sure but he thinks they changed it the final Blazer year and newer 4.3L equipped models. Does anyone know if this is true? Should I just go to the stealership and have them remove it?

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 AM

It seems highly unlikely that you would have to remove the valve cover to change it since its tune-up part that need to be changed. I can't think of how it would mount into it either since it is the same part number on an 05 as it is on a 97. Its possible that the engines heat has just shrunk the rubber grommet so the PCV valve is really tight in it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 AM
jonesjt is an unknown quantity at this point

If you haven't already done this, I would strongly encourage you to purchase a Haynes or preferably Chilton manual for your truck. I think Haynes bought Chilton, so now you can only get new Haynes manuals (which I think are less informative), but you can sometimes find Chilton's online (half.com, etc.). My Chilton manual was by far the best $20 I've ever spent. With zero engine experience,a Chilton manual, and some elementary mechanical knowledge, I was able to tear my wife's '93 Grand Am engine down to the block to replace the head gasket after it blew and the engine hydrolocked. This same service manual information can often be found on AutoZone's webpage or at your local library. I have changed the PCV on my blazer (around 130k mi) and agree with the other expressed opinions that it came out very easily. If yours isn't coming out easily, something is seriosly wrong, or there was a design change that requires a more complex procedure... again a good service manual would give you the answer.