2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Trip Odometer Resetting??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trip Odometer Resetting??

I do not believe there to be a battery in any of these components. Instead, just non-volatile ram.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Then again, I feel like the guys up in Canada would have seen the problem before with their -20* weather if the cold killed the board battery..
hey now.. don't be pickin on us folks up north. lol

Old 02-12-2008, 02:42 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I just filled up with gas again and we will see what I do with it. I seem to have a leak of antifreeze somewhere but I dont see any places where it is leaking from. But i see if pooled up in that spot next to the thermostat housing and a cross member. All the connections and seals seem good for now, and I need to replace the front drivers side wheel bearing. I will continue to updated on the status of the trip odometer. I dont believe it is the stock ACDelco battery as that would be a 10 year old battery, but i did have corrosion there earlier last year but i have cleaned it off and treated it and it seems good now. I hate working on my truck outside with it blowing, snowing, and being about 0 degrees farenhiet plus the windchill. Luckily I will probably be going home soon and can work on it in the garage.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

Yeah I just filled up with gas again and we will see what I do with it. I seem to have a leak of antifreeze somewhere but I dont see any places where it is leaking from. But i see if pooled up in that spot next to the thermostat housing and a cross member. All the connections and seals seem good for now, and I need to replace the front drivers side wheel bearing. I will continue to updated on the status of the trip odometer. I dont believe it is the stock ACDelco battery as that would be a 10 year old battery, but i did have corrosion there earlier last year but i have cleaned it off and treated it and it seems good now. I hate working on my truck outside with it blowing, snowing, and being about 0 degrees farenhiet plus the windchill. Luckily I will probably be going home soon and can work on it in the garage.
I know how you feel with the blowing, snowing and cold out. I changed my alternator and my battery trying to get the same problem with mine fixed.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Did it fix the problem?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:11 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

Did it fix the problem?
Replacing the alternator did not, which is why I replaced the battery. Got an Optima Red Top and all is well now, not a single problem.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:31 PM

Cool, sounds like I might be replacing the battery soon. I might wait till spring or summer though. I was looking at the optima batteries but they are expensive. I was want to get one with dual posts (side and top posts) so then I can hook my amp and disconnect it easier, and have a nice easy to reach post for jumping people.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 PM
pcfixit is an unknown quantity at this point

I just recently had my Instrument cluster out of my 98 Blazer working on a different problem but I noticed how cheap the button for the trip reset was, and if used alot I can see were that would cause problems and/or break easily. Keep that in mind if changing the battery doesn't work.

Oh and there is no battery on the instrument cluster because the car battery is 12v there is no need to have a seperate battery for the radio, only seperate battery I can think of on the car would be for a alarm.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
jbmwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I have same problem with my 98 Blazer, every time I start my truck the reset odometer goes back to zero. I noticed it after I installed a new starter. It didn't happen before that. Not sure if that could be the issue of a loose connection somewhere. But is starts up just fine. Frigging irritating is all. When I want to use my trip odometer, I can't shut off the vehicle or it will reset.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
m2ski is on a distinguished road

1998 Blazer LS four door 4x4
Last summer (2012) I started having the exact same problem. Everything worked fine but the trip odometer kept resetting. I had to keep track of my trip miles by writing them down after each fill up. A couple months into winter this year (2013) my blazer was starting but it was sluggish. I replaced the battery and it fixed both problems. My battery was going bad the whole time. I was told that my battery was not getting completely charged and when it was under strain (like cold weather) the trip odometer would reset.