2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

popping in front end when steering

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough
Default popping in front end when steering

Ok, I first thought maybe it was a CV shaft but lately it doesn't quite sound like one... When I back up, wheather straight or turning and then put it in drive and turn the wheel to pull away (left or right) the steering Pops once as I turn it. Only happens once and then goes away..... any ideas? You can definetly feel it in the steering

Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like an upper ball joint. If you have a floor jack and a 4 foot piece of pipe (not that thin copper stuff) on each side jack on the lower A-frame, lift the tire about 2 inches off the floor (this works best on a hard surface), slide the pipe in from the side and lift a few times. If you have a bad one you'll see the wheel jump a bit at the top and quite probably hear that familiar clunk sound.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM

ball joints are less then 5k old, all 4...

Old 08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you may have a control arm bushing going out.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

I have the same sound in my blazer! Just took it to the shop and It looks like my upper passenger side ball joint and pitman arm need replaced

Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 AM

whats the best way to check control arm bushings?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would put someone you trust in the driver seat & get under the vehicle so you can see the control arm bushings. Have them turn the steering wheel as you watch where the upper & lower control arms mount to the frame. You will be watching for a rather large movement. It is typical for the bushings to deflect up to a 1/4" if you get to the steering lock in either direction, but they should rebound right back out if they are still in good condition.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 AM

ok.. now, anyone replace these without a shop press?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 AM

Ok, well the popping wasn't the control arms or the cv joint... it was a loose bolt on the ball joint... must have had some rust on the arm and wheel sensor wire holder when I initially put them on and worked its way loose.... Bunch of loctite and torqued them down to hell and all is better..... go figure....

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Good find. Scarry too.
Ive had idler arms make the same noise.
I am not ashamed to say their are certian things I just do not attempt to do myself.

1. Rebuild automatic transmissions
2. mount tires
3. align my own vehicle.
Here is my theory. it might be considered dirty pool but oh well. When i have a mystery noise i can find in the front end, i take my vehicle to get aligned. When the guy comes out and says "Hey! your gizmo is bad!" I act real sad and ask him how much. Then i tell him it has to wait until next pay day. I then do the repair myself and take it back to have the alignment done again. Hopefully he can do it that time and he gets his money. It usually takes two people to diagnose a front end noise. alot of times im by myself.

Ok, Ive told one of my dark dark secrets.....the beatings can begin.

Hope everyone has a great day!