2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turn signal shenanigans

Old 04-21-2007, 06:04 PM
goat6500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turn signal shenanigans

2002 LS 4 Door 4x4 4.3 v6 44,000 miles, decent shape but previous owner didn't take the best care of it...anyway:

All of the suddent,when I turn on theleft turn signal it will cycle at 3x the regular speed but oddly enough, the right turn signal still works fine and cycles at the same rate as before(1x).This follows 2 months ofnormal operation on both turn signals.

So now, my right turn signal works fine but the left one cycles super-fast(clickclickclickclick!). Functionally, I guess it still works but it makes me nervous it's going to burn something out and it's weird because it's just the left side and not the right. WTF?

Oh, and also the intermittent wiper kinda malfunctions in the sense it only has one delay interval when it should have like 8. Huh?

Any help appreciated!!

Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Turn signal shenanigans

That fast clicking in your signal light, means there's a problem... Check for burned bulbs.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:16 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point

One bulb is fried at the fast side.

Old 04-22-2007, 07:15 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Change the bulb.

That's the burned bulb indicator... Some vehicles don't flash at all when one is burned...

Old 04-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope for your sake it is only a burned out bulb. I had the distinct displeasure of having to replace the turn signal switch. Long story but my CEL was not working. Took it in for state inspection and mechanic says to me, "do you know that your CEL is not working", No, I say, never noticed it. Turns out all cars built after 1995 must have a CEL that comes on with the ignition then it should go off (if there are no problems detected). The previous owner, unbeknowst to me, took out the CEL bulb and most likely broke the Hazard Lamp stalk (that little push button on top of the steering column) which is really a long piece of plastic that reaches down to the signal switch. Whoever broke it, glued it back together enough to get it to work again, until my mechanic ended up breaking it off again trying to get the instrument cluster apart to replace the CEL bulb. A new switch was almost $300.00 bucks. That switch has 24 wires coming out of it and controls, left & right turns, all wiper functions, cruise control and high beam flash to pass as well as the hazard warning lamp functions. Anyway, I got an aftermarket switch at AutoZone for $175.00 and re-assembled the steering column and cover parts myself. My mechanic replaced the CEL bulb (cost me $285.00 for that bulb). So again, I hope it's nothing wrong with your turn signal switch.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

As noted above, fast click on turn signals usually means a burned out bulb on that side. Reason: the flasher unit is built to see X resistance. When a bulb is burned out, resistance on that side is reduced, so the flasher cycles faster. Hope that is it.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:40 PM
goat6500 is an unknown quantity at this point

(sound of hand smacking forehead) Yes, a bulb is burned out. Sorry, I looked at the front and back side turn signal lights and it appeared to be flashing(at the high speed) so I assumed the bulbs were fine. However, after reading these responses I looked closer and saw the back turn signal light actually has two bulbs and one of them is, indeed, burnt out. Thanks a bunch everyone!

On a later note, any advice for the wiper delay weirdness I mentioned?

Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have already checked for cold solders as detailed in the how-to article, then it most likely is an issue with the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk).

Here's the thread on the cold solders: Fix for cold solders in the Wiper Motor