2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Turn Signals Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member
bobbyj42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turn Signals Not Working

I was driving the other day with my cruise control on and it stopped working. Then I noticed neither of my turn signals were working.

The next day, the cruise control was working again, but still no turn signals. When I engage them, there is no blinking on the dash, nor are the lights themselves on the outside blinking. However, when I run my hazards, everything flashes normally.

I drove into work today and when I was about 3/4 of the way there, the left turn signal started working normally again, but the right blinker just stayed lit. Any ideas?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM
rienwatergroen2 is on a distinguished road

It's the hazard switch on Your steering column.Blow it out with air after spraying a little WD 40 on and between the ****.Move it up and down several times and normaly everything should work again. If not, change the **** with a repair kit, availeble at the dealer. Cost about 25 usd.Don't take the covers off!!! Just pull the **** up and out with some force and put the new one in the same(some force).

Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, sounds like the hazard switch.

Have a look at this thread:
Broken Hazard Switch Repair

Old 12-24-2009, 01:34 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem, it was the flasher that whent bad behind the cigarette lighter.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the input, guys. I tried rienwatergroen2's WD40/air solution and it did not work. In doing so, however, I discovered that if I apply a bit of pressure to the hazard switch when I engage the turn signal, they work! So it looks like it is definitely the hazard switch. I will pull it out later and see if I can fix it or if I have to just buy the new switch.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member

I finally got around to buying and installing the new switch...and I'm still having some problems. The left turn signal now works but the right one does not. However, once again I can get it to work by applying a bit of pressure to the top of the hazard switch.

Also, when the car is completely turned off, no keys in the ignition...if I press the brake peddle, the car turns to ON! What is going on here?!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You've got some seriously crossed wires in there...

There should be no connection between the multifunction switch and the starter or the brake switch and the starter.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Beginning Member

Well car doesn't actually start, but it would be as if I turned the key to "On" (can hear the fuel pump, lights turn on, etc). Any idea what caused this? It didn't do this before I put in the new hazard switch.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Are you sure that you hooked everything back together properly? Did you only replace the hazard switch or the whole multifunction switch? Did you disconnect anything under the dash?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member

I didn't have to disconnect anything under the dash. The only thing I replaced was the hazard switch, not the multifunction switch. I pulled it out and put the new one back in and that was all.

I just discovered that if I press the hazard switch down so that the hazard lights are blinking...when I press the brake peddle, the car does not turn to On. Just some more information...

Last edited by bobbyj42; 01-19-2010 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Turn Signals Not Working