2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Which type of coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
I'm a fan of Chris_Fix too. I've consulted his videos to educate myself on several topics. However I must admit my favorite is his video on the proper procedure for replacing the blinker fluid.

My father taught my brother and I had to do a flush on a 71 Ford station wagon. Where we lived (near Seattle) all of the water is quite soft as it comes from reservoirs filled with snow melt. This allowed for doing a regular flush with garden hose. But where I live now, we have well water that is a bit hard. So to use good water, you have to do repeated drains and refills. I think also on his old Ford (302) he was able to get much greater fraction out by using the radiator drain than we can on our Blazers.

As for my calculation, my hand-writing is horrible so I'm attached a pdf of a MS-Word document I made up to describe it. This was a good exercise so that I can a nice copy for myself in the future. I hope you find it useful.
Thanks! Very interesting!

I'd been trying to work out how to compute the same sort of thing for power steering fluid. Now if I can figure out the total capacity of the system I can figure it out.

Thank you!

Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rock18
Thanks! Very interesting!

I'd been trying to work out how to compute the same sort of thing for power steering fluid. Now if I can figure out the total capacity of the system I can figure it out.

Thank you!
You are very welcome. Can you tell I'm also a bit of a nerd? LOL

You know the cost of PS fluid is a lot more than distilled water so that is why I replaced my PS fluid by disconnecting one of the hoses (the return hose I think) from the pump and letting the pump push the old fluid out into a pan under the truck while trying to keep the reservoir kind a full. It is a bit of a messy job but quick. The advantage is that all of the fluid gets pushed out and you can see when the clean stuff starts coming through. I purchased a gallon jug of the PS fluid to do the job and might have used half(?) of it. If I were to do it again, I'd buy smaller containers so I could return the unopened ones. Also I'd be more careful about letting the pump run dry. I didn't run it long enough to hurt the pump. Instead I got some air into the system and to be sure I got all the air out, I had to run the truck a bit and keep checking the level.

P.S. If you think you could get 3/4 or more out of a system only three drain/flushes or less are needed to get to a very large dilution of the original. If I had to guess, for our PS systems, the fraction left after each drain (well removal as much as possible from the top) would still be about 50%.

Last edited by christine_208; 02-10-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added P.S.