2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

UK Immobiliser Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
leaky is on a distinguished road

Lippyp, that's the best offer I've had in a long time!

I'm glad it has solved at least one of your problems.

The immobiliser system itself seems to be fairly robust, the remotes appear to cause many of the headaches

I actually enjoy running an older vehicle and dealing with the quirky problems that they all seem to suffer from, but then I do not have to rely on it as my daily driver. I can see how that would change things considerably, especially if I wasn't the only one using it.

As for your bad thoughts of a 4.0l Cherokee, they also have a very similar immobiliser fitted with as many problems but much less information on fixes than ours.

Good luck tomorrow, I hope it is a successful visit and doesn't cost too much.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 AM
Lippyp is on a distinguished road

Thanks! This one is my daily driver, my toy is a 1967 Chevy C10 pickup, no electronics, just need about three spanners and a big hammer to take it apart.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Those were the days. most vehicles were much easier to fix.

Electronics have added another dimension to repairs now, but generally, reliability is vastly improved over 60s and 70s cars which, whilst much more simple to fix, required fixing much more often.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:48 AM

Well, it's done, for a somewhat wince making £537. Its had two new front brake hoses, the handbrake sorted out which I think included new handbrake shoes , the 4wd system has been sorted out with all new vacuum hoses so it now works properly and the service 4wd light no longer comes on, and the immobiliser has been properly sorted out putting it back to US spec. All I need to do before the MoT is fit two new front anti-roll bar end links and splash some paint on the front suspension arms which came us as an advise as being rusty last year. Hopefully it'll pass first time. Then it's on to sorting out the worn drivers door hinge with the bush and pin kit I got from the US and lots of little improvements, a load of spotlights to fit, two huge Hellas for the front bumper and I need to weld up a bar so I can fit four smaller ones on the roof. The I need to sort the stereo out as I only get sound from the front speakers and one of those is a bit noisy with any volume so I'm guessing it's goosed. I also have a CB and antenna to fit

Old 01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Starting Member
Dobe Rottie Gang is on a distinguished road

I'm pleased you got it sorted in the end.
Your right that was some amount of money to have to spend in one go, but hopefully next year it will pay for itself and fly through the MOT.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM

Yeah, their parts prices were somewhat inflated, especially the brake hoses which were double what US automotive charge for them but I hate doing brakes and its also about finding the time to track all these issues down which I don't have tbh. It goes better as well without what must have been a fairly hefty vacuum leak.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:31 PM

To perhaps make you feel better, that is less than a 'B' service on my Merc Vito at the main stealers. At least your guys did some proper work and actually traced and fixed the problems, not just changed oil and filters and stamp the service book.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 AM

Yeah I hate to think how much my wifes company Nissan x-trail costs to service, especially as it's done 40K miles in just over a year. I've lost track of how many very expensive tyres its had as we had a rash of punctures last year as some dozy plank of a builder must have dropped a box of drywall screws somewhere between us and the main road as it was always the same screws in a nearside tyre, I think she had three or four and all too close to the sidewall to repair as well as a set that wore out. It seems to do about 15K on a set tops. Thats without the £15K bodyshop bill after somone went up her backside at 40 mph (amusingly someone from the same company she works for but didn't know)

I had one puncture but in the middle so had it plugged. Normal servicing etc I do myself, gave it the full works engine wise after I got it, the plugs were the originals it left the factory with as I suspect was the cap and rotor arm and leads, changed the front hubs when the bearings went, will do the anti roll bar links etc but the computer based stuff forget it. It's due a service now so i might do that before the MoT, could also probably do with dropping the axle and gearbox oils as I bet they've never nbeen done either.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Starting Member
David Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case motors

@DaveHearne - do you still have spares of these?!
CheersDave

Old 01-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Hi, unfortunately I sold my Blazer (along with all my spares) a couple years ago. It was a tough decision as it had been a good friend for 10 years but it got to the stage where it was needing a lot spending on it & spares, particularly for anything RHD specific, were becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. In hindsight, I often wished I had bought a US-spec LHD model as they didn't have any of the peculiarities that the RHD export models had such as immobilizer PIN codes, different spec fobs, different parking brake set-up, different steering column set-up, different pitman arm (my god that was a saga) etc etc. That being said though, I did have a lot of fun driving mine & the guy I sold it to is still running it, although he has a spare truck to rob spares from which helps a lot.

I have remained on this forum just out of interest as it's always interesting to see how the UK Blazer community is doing. Am always here to advise & help other owners if needed.

I now use a Honda CRV as a daily driver but also have a 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe as my "fun" vehicle. It has the 5.3 litre Vortec motor in it & sounds like a dream - as most V8's do!

Quick Reply: UK Immobiliser Issues