2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

UK spec RHD 2000 Blazer headlamp fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member
68dartboy is on a distinguished road
Default UK spec RHD 2000 Blazer headlamp fault

Hi guys,
Hoping some of the UK owners can help on this one. I have started having a problem with the headlights on my 2000 RHD Blazer ( not good this time of year!! ) When you switch sidelights on they come on first time , every time. Then switch dipped beam on and more often than not they don't come on for a few seconds ( sometimes you have to wigle the stalk or wiring before they come on ). You can then drive along and they are OK, then they just go off momentarily ( bit scarey ) then come on. Also EVERY time you put the lights on main beam or flash they go off, to come back on a few seconds later.

Obviously I'm guessing this is an issue for ONLY RHD cars as the light switch is a Daewoo item fitted on the column not like the US cars where its on the dash.

Must add I have fitted another secondhand switch but still same problem, if not worse.

Any help or advice on this gratefuly received as I need to use the Blazer but not particularly safe this time of year.

Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2011, 03:17 PM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help on this one, not a problem I have had, but sounds likely to be the switch, or a break in the wiring. I also have a PT Cruiser and they are known to have similar problems with the multiuse switch. Don't think there are any relays in the wiring. If the worst happens i'm sure an autoelectrician could put in a seperate lighting switch.

Last edited by redcruiser; 10-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member

Was thinking about that as an option.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem - it is still almost certainly the switch at fault, (I know you have fitted a secondhand one but that too could be faulty?). I fitted another switch to mine & problem still occured, although less frequently, so I removed the switch again & thoroughly sprayed some electrical contact cleaner into it while simultaneously operating it. Problem has not happened since, Mine was worst when I changed from main beam to dipped, lights would sometimes go out for a second or two before coming back on - not good when doing 70+ along the M6 at night! There is a relay in the underhood fusebox for the lights but that is purely for the power & is energized on both dip and main beam, the rest of the circuitry is in the switch.
If you try that, still have problems & need any wiring diagrams I have a GM factory manual on CD-ROM that I can send you pages from (sorry cannot do you a full copy as it is copy-protected). This covers the RHD models along with any other differences they have. Only thing it doesn't cover is the security/immobilizer system for the European models which differ from other models in that the fob must be used before the vehicle can be started - before the immobilizer re-arms again after 2 minutes if it isn't started. You cannot start the vehicle if the key alone is used to unlock the vehicle. I personally find this feature infuriating (particularly after fuel stops) & cannot understand for the life of me why GM made them this way just for the European market? Just something that has to be lived with.
Hope you get problem sorted - if you need any other help pleased just ask.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for that reply. Did you fit a NEW switch or a USED one? If it was new where did you get one from as I have tried but can't source one ( found one company in States but cant get an illustration to make sure its correct).
The CD would be real helpful,where did you source that from?

I will get some electrical cleaner and give that a try.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I fitted a secondhand switch which I bought on Ebay from someone who was breaking one. If you wanted a new switch you would probably have to go through Bauer Millett in Manchester. I don't know which Daewoo model originally used the switch - would be handy to know in case I ever needed another myself?
I bought the CD off Ebay from someone in the USA - best thing I ever did as it's been a godsend on occasions.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Hi
The other place you can try is US Automotive in Bedford, I get quite a few parts and they will cross reference your VIN number to check for the right parts, even with the RHD Blazers. I would also like to know where to get the CD manual from if it has details of the RHD differences. I have got the book type service manual which runs into 3 heavy books, but no reference to RHD.
Adrian

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Off topic but still deals with lights. I have noticed the headlights on RHD spec blazes look different from US Blazers. Are the high and low beam on your trucks the same bulb?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi, They are separate bulbs the dip goes out when the main comes on, although I am considering putting in a relay so that the low stays on at the same time as the main.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:43 AM
Beginning Member

Same problem I seem to have with the secondhand switch I bought. Did try to find which Daewoo it fits but seems to be a US spec part. Found a supplier in the States but can't find an illustration to make sure connections are the same.
Going to get some electrical cleaner and give that a go, dread to think the cost from Main dealer !!

Quick Reply: UK spec RHD 2000 Blazer headlamp fault