2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Unable to adjust toe... what do I need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:22 PM
ZLover4Life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unable to adjust toe... what do I need to replace?

I just had an alignment done after replacing both front hubs and was told that he was unable to adjust the toe on the passenger's side - he said he couldn't get it to turn. He offered to try to use more than just his strength and a wrench, but he said if it broke they wouldn't be held responsible so I told them not to bother. The toe is off quite a bit (.68 degrees, spec is 0-.1 degrees) so I'd like to get this repaired, but I don't have much experience with the Blazer's suspension. Could someone give me insight into what I might be able to do to resolve the issue, whether it be removing and cleaning the arm or flat out replacing it (as well as how much the part would cost if I chose to replace it)? I'd greatly appreciate the help. I think it's the inner/outer tie rods, but I just want to check. I'm thinking they might just be a little rusted, so I might just break them loose and hope that I can clean them enough to not have to replace them.

On the plus side, I just replaced both hub assemblies with Timken hubs, so hopefully I won't have to deal with bearing issues anytime soon. I just hope I can get the toe fixed so that the extra wear on the components doesn't kill that bearing prematurely. And then I'll have to continue looking into that damn defective 4WD system.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 06-22-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The adjusting sleeve is likely rusted fast. Try hitting it with some penetrating oil daily on both ends of the sleeve. It is located between the inner and outer tie rod end.

A little heat would not hurt it either so long as the guy does not go nuts.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM

I wasn't sure what it was called (adjusting sleeve), but that's kind of what I was thinking. I'll soak it in PB Blaster for a few days and try turning it a bit... then I'll hope I can find a shop that'll do a discounted 1-wheel toe adjustment.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 AM
Beginning Member
pnice74 is on a distinguished road

If you get that thing loose, you can dial it in pretty damn close. When I lowerd my truck I took it in for an alignment and camber. I was only off .5 Not too shaby since I new I was just going to the shop to get it aligned. UCUNDOIT!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:09 PM

... spec is 0 to .1 and mine is currently off by .68, so I wouldn't necessarily call .5 "pretty damn close." lol