2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Uneven brake pad wear ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:25 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uneven brake pad wear ?

I had to have a front wheellug stud replaced today. When they were finished the guy working on it said that when he took off the brake caliper that the inside pad was worn twice as much as the outter pad. He said that this was caused by thecaliper needing to be replaced because it was not applying equal pressure to both pads. Neither pad was worn enough to be replaced, but he just wanted to bringit to my attention. I am not a brake expertbut I would be more likley to believe this if there were pistons on both sides of the caliper. The stock calipers have one piston on the inside pad that squeezes the rotor between the inside pad(which is on the piston) and the outside that is fixed to the caliper housing.Correct?So in my simple mind it would make sense that the pad to which pressure is applyed is going to be more worn (inside pad). I have done my own brake maintainence for years but I can honestly say that I do not racall if one side of the pads were worn much more than the other. Any opinions on this matter.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Uneven brake pad wear ?

If the slider pins are seized, this will cause the inside pad to wear faster. How uneven was the wear? If it's less than 1/16", then I wouldn't do much beyond removing the pins, cleaning them up and relubing them.

Definitely not something to replace the whole caliper over. They were just trying to get more of your $$$.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM
flyinbrad is an unknown quantity at this point

He was not very clear on the extent of the wear difference so I am going totry to take a look at it this weekend. What is involved in checking andremoving the pins? What would I lube them with?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the caliper and pull the pins out. Clean with brake cleaner, wire brush, and or emry cloth. Lub with caliper grease.