2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

UPDATE:Engine swap gone bad.. Gettin Better...Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 PM
troyL is on a distinguished road

First of all my appoligies for postin several threads on same issue I atleast have that part figured out. well as many of you have read I put a 98 vinW 4.3 into my 96 jimmy. After many obstacles I have engine in and turnin over but wont start. Heres what I tested.Ive ran a code check none show up, 64psi on fuel when crankin over than drops to bout 58psi after pump shuts off and holds steady, I have spark on every cylinder. I have tried to set timing following thread on settin timing. the major issue Im having is getting marks on distributor base to line up with rotor. I set the 2 marks on balancer with mark on engine and timing chain cover. but I cant get the rotor to point towards little V mark on dis. base it always ends up a liitle off no matter how I set dist in.I even pulled cyl 1 spark plug to find TDC which seems to contridict the markings on balancer. Can some please help me get this going I really dont know what else to do.Thanks guys

Ok I tried some more things. compression test 120 psi, I noticed spark is orangish not blue could this be a reason? and I even tried starting fluid all I got was a backfire out of throttle body. Still feel like Im missin sumthin??
Thanks agaiun

Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 AM
kabrynsdaddy is on a distinguished road

Did you use your old dis and coil cause you know there good double check fireing order when ever I do a motor swap if I didn't hear the motor run I use all my old sensors and dis cause I know there good

Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM

yea I used old dis and coil pack,I even took old spider valve out of old motor cause other one was plugged.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM

Will the motor turn over fast enough to use a timing light to get a rough idea where your timing is cause you got fuel fire and good compression it could be ign timing could it be flooding out?

Fuel pressure Reg might be stopping up or bad

Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM

ok I just tested every cylinder 111,115,110,108,120,120 psi Is it me or is that really low? I also noticed all the plugs were wet when I pulled them. I think this motor was also sitting a while b4 I put it in the gas smelled really old, thats why I put the spider valve out of the old motor in it

I dont think it will turn over fast enough , batt is gettin weak I have a charger on it

Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Sounds like its getting too much fuel the compression is a lil low do you know how many miles is on the motor

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM

I was told 125,000 but Im doubting anything the said, Would that be fuel pressure reg givin it to much gas? The gas was like varnish, the injectors were froze up . Could the have messed up fuel pres reg?

125,000 but who really knows. fuel was VERY old cld that cause fuel pres reg to fail?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM

I would just use the one off your old motor cause sounds like the fuel system on that motor was shot and that's prob bad along with everything else you replaced

Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Default Got it goin!

Finally I got it goin. The dist was 180 off. put new plugs,wires,cap,rotor. Runs a little ruff. it idles but pops or reasl little back fires out of exhaust and I smell raw gas comin from exaust. Could I be a tooth off on timing? Oh yea code P300 multiple missfire comes up. Any ideas. Thanks Blazer Forum for all the info out there!:icon_headbang

Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Atleast you finally got it running

Quick Reply: UPDATE:Engine swap gone bad.. Gettin Better...Help!!