2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

won't turn over with strong battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default won't turn over with strong battery

1996 blazer LS 4x4:

Ok so i just went to start the blazer up this morning and it just won't turn over. This isnt the typical dead battery because when i turn the key, it sounds like it normally does. No hesitation and plenty of power. It just doesnt completely turn over. Any idea what this can be?

UPDATE: Ok so i tried a couple more times and it finally started up. The first time it started, there was some hesitation. Not from the battery charge, but more of it turning over and completely starting up. Now it's starting up like normal without hesitation. I didn't do anything. Something must be going...

Last edited by pmezo; 12-27-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

You got a bad ground probly on your battery, take the cables off clean them up, put them back on, and make sure they are tight.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Starting Member

i'll give them a quick cleaning too with some baking soda. I don't see any battery acid, but i guess it couldnt hurt. I've turned it off and on a couple times and its starting up fine now, but i'll take your advice and give that a shot.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Starting Member

Hope it work out for you. Cant hurt i use actual terminal cleaner from advance auto. Even detects if your battery is leaking acid (changes color) baking soda, and coke a cola work too.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

have you had your starter tested? could be a bad starter solenoid or starter.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Starting Member

Ok so i cleaned the terminals and it's pretty much the same. Sometimes it starts up right away without any hesitation and sometimes it hesitates a couple seconds and then turns over. Not too sure if it is the battery. It's charging at about 12-14 volts according to the dash and the battery is only about a year old at the most.

Now about the starter... is there an easy way to test it or do i need a specific tool? If i do need a starter, any idea how much they run and if it's an easy install? Never had to do one before.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 PM
Starting Member

Does it click(like a dead battery) when you try to start it or does it turn over slow then then speed up?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Starting Member

No it doesn't click like the battery's dead, it sounds strong when i turn that key. It just doesnt turn over as fast as it was before this all started. This morning it didn't turn over at all, but now at least its starting. Don't ask me what changed, because other than disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, nothings different.

Sometimes it starts up right away and other times it takes 3-5 seconds to finally turn over. I know what a dead or dying battery sounds like and this battery is strong. When i turn that key it make a strong attempt to start. It just doesnt start as fast as it should.

Does this mean its not the starter if it's not clicking like a dead battery?

Last edited by pmezo; 12-28-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Starting Member

I was just wondering case is a pita to remove the starter and a new one is pretty pricey. Im not sure if they can even test a starter. There is only two ways i have ever had a starter go out, one is the way you discribe it. Only after a while it will just go click and nothing else happens. Sometimes happens over nite sometimes takes months for the starter to wear all the way out.
The other the bendix breaks and squeals(not your systems).

I would just for safe mesure stop by oriellys, advance, autozone, who ever you preffer to have that battery checked. They do it for free and you dont have to take it out(takes just a few min). My wifes car did something like you are discribing and it was her battery was weak(it was only 9 months old) so naturally i was lost. That is what im so fixated on the battery.

Also did you change you oil lately? Thick oil will do bout the same thing sometimes

if every thing checks out i would start reading up on how to change it (if you dont know) could be you problem

I wish i could be of more help

Last edited by jacobcnc; 12-28-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Starting Member

About the oil... i changed it about 4-5 months ago, but that was only about 500 miles ago. The car isn't my main car, so it doesnt get a lot of mileage. It does get used daily, but only about 5-10 miles a day.

The car does have 200k+ miles on it, but other than this, runs great. I think the last oil change i used 10w-40 oil. I think it was recommended by the shop i brought it to for the oil change because of how many miles on the truck.

About the battery... i think i'm going to pull the battery and give it a nice slow full charge. Hopefully this is my issue.

Quick Reply: won't turn over with strong battery