2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Vacuum leak but where?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
blazerblack is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you could have a fuel system problem, the pressure is low and it's leaking down too fast. If you are inclined to pull off your plenum you could check for a clean spot on your lower intake, that would indicate a leak from the spider or the FPR. If you don't see anything there you could check one more spot for a vacuum leak.

Sometimes the lower intake gasket can cause a vacuum leak. Try spraying carb clean around the seal at idle and listen to if the RPM's go up.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
juanfpina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chaoticdopey
i did take it to a mechanic and waisted $105 $65 for the diagnostic and $40 for labour, they said i did a bad job of cleaning the maf and i missed a vacuum line when i replaced them all. check engine light has been off for 4 days now but its still running the same way. if i open the hood and rev it fast it hesitates and back fies out the tb then gets up the rpms. no problem getin on the freeway but i notice i dont have as much power as my sonoma did and im waisting more gas while im at it. sometimes power is nice sometimes not, sometimes i get hesitation from moving from a stop light.

so i believe it is still running lean. in drive it has vibration and you can see the engine rattling. in neutral its idles fine.

and sorry for hijacking your thread juanfpina and tell me what your outcome is after you have it checked...
Don't worry about the hijacking, we're both in the same problem it seems. That describes all my problems almost exactly, I can't floor it to speed up because it bogs down, and definitely have less power, also light isn't on but still feel the effects.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

You need a thermostat in order for the truck to run right. That could be part of the problem.. The fuel pressure is low just have to figure out why. Pressure check the cooling system before the lower intake gasket job. I dont know about you, but I hate doing work that isnt needed. The coolant smell could be coming from the heater core.....Replacing the intake manifold gasket wont solve that. Once again, wasted money and un-needed work.

Im not a big fan of products that make claims like that. Just my opinion. The problems you have arent from a dirty motor.

Dont worry, you will get it fixed.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kristoph30
You need a thermostat in order for the truck to run right. That could be part of the problem.. The fuel pressure is low just have to figure out why. Pressure check the cooling system before the lower intake gasket job. I dont know about you, but I hate doing work that isnt needed. The coolant smell could be coming from the heater core.....Replacing the intake manifold gasket wont solve that. Once again, wasted money and un-needed work.

Im not a big fan of products that make claims like that. Just my opinion. The problems you have arent from a dirty motor.

Dont worry, you will get it fixed.
i dout its from not running with a thermostat. after i got rid of the stat it actually sstarted running better. and im just guna have my friend pull off the upper intake for now so we can check the fpr and injectors for leaks. im not trying to spend unnessesary money but the truck has 226k on it and probably could use the parts anyways