2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

vapor canister question

Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
cpesko is on a distinguished road

I just replaced my evap solenoid on my 96 blazer. I been just taking it off and unclogging the charcoal out of it. I have replaced with new part now. But my question is charcoal suppose to be coming through into the evap solenoid. Is this normal. If it isnt do I need to replace my charcoal canister?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question Box near the spare tire underneith

This box you are talking about is about 4 inches long by about 3 inches and retangler shaped and also bolts to the frame.It also has some wires connecting to it?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It's not normal for charcoal to escape from the vapor canister. Overfilling the tank is what causes the issue you're having. The canister is designed to trap fuel vapor in the activated charcoal. Overfilling allows liquid fuel to enter the canister, when that happens, the canister needs to be replaced.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Ya I belive that is the part 80 more dollrs err cars. I am unsure of is an overfill problem because I never fill up a lot just let the pump shutoff whenever. Is this part located underneath the rear driver quarter panel or below the air filtering am going to do more investigation today.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Located in the left rear quarter panel. The purge line from the canister to the purge solenoid, (on the engine) must be flushed and purged with compressed air, to get all charcoal particles out of it.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the quick responses going to purchase the part today and make the install I will keep you posted.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM

Just one more quick question what is the proper way to blow out the lines?

Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Disconnect the vapor line from the purge solenoid and the canister. Squirt carb cleaner in one end of the line, and blow it out with compressed air until it comes clear.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member
PogiMoto is on a distinguished road

Hey guys I'm running the P0446 code as well. I was pumping my 04 blazer 4dr and it stopped pumping it until my truck was filled? So I started forcing more fuel into the tank to top it off and I noticed gas started to drip from underneath? Then I recieved the code p0446 and am abit confused where I should check and replace first? Help! Emissions is due in a couple of days! Lol

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM

See posts #13, 15, & 18.

Then clear the DTC's and perform the http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html and check for DTC's. If there are DTC's present, diagnose & repair them in the order they are retrieved. There is a flow chart for most DTC's here on the forum.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-27-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: vapor canister question