2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

W Code vs. Z Code

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
nitro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default W Code vs. Z Code

I am a bit confused on something. I have a 96 Jimmy with a 4.3 engine code W. The engine has spun a rod bearing, I found a engine from a guy for $200 he claims the engine is from a 96-97 Blazer with TBI and the engine code he thinks is Z.

If I am understanding everything the W code indicates TBI and the Z code is multi port FI.

It is about a 2 hour drive for me to go and look at the engine, so want to get some basic facts before I go up there and waste my time.

Secondly if it is indeed a Z engine will it work if i change out intakes and such? Basically just use the block and heads?

Thanks everyone
Clint

Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other way around Vin Z = TBI, Vin W = CPI or SCFI depending on year.

You need a 96-01 SCFI engine for it to be a direct swap.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member

Am I able to use everything from the heads down and swap out intake and injection from my W engine to the Z engine?

I would ideally like to get the right engine code, but I have to get something quick.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No. Heads are different as well as the block, but you could use the short block with the newer heads and intake. The problem would be the front cover is different and does not have provisions for a CKP sensor. I do not believe that any Z code engines were equipped with a balance shaft either.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
No. Heads are different as well as the block, but you could use the short block with the newer heads and intake. The problem would be the front cover is different and does not have provisions for a CKP sensor. I do not believe that any Z code engines were equipped with a balance shaft either.
i had an odd ball in my '92 Jimmy. it had the factory Z code engine in it, but had the aforementioned balance shaft in it. and considering i bought the truck when it was 4 years old, and from the original owner (who was a salesman), i can say with 99.999% certainty that the truck was never messed with before i bought it.

it was also the only Z code (that i had apart) that had a balance shaft in it, not that i took apart alot of these engines anyways.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

I have heard of many people having problems with the balance shaft interfering with the TBI intake manifold. Could have been an odd ball though.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member

I am even more confused now. I went out and double checked my engine cause i could have swore it was TBI and it is a W Code.

First lets make sure I am correct on identifying the code from what I remember it is the 8th digit in the VIN which mine is W.

The following image is identical to what is in my Jimmy, which that looks like a TBI to me.

It has been way too long since I have had to work on stuff like this.

Last edited by nitro7; 12-01-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Changed TPI to TBI
Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Administrator

That image is of the 96+ SCFI engine. Not TBI since the throttle body has nothing to do with fuel delivery on your engine.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
That image is of the 96+ SCFI engine. Not TBI since the throttle body has nothing to do with fuel delivery on your engine.
Thanks, I just popped the air cleaner off before reading your post and realized for myself it is not TBI, sigh back to the drawing board on finding an engine for this truck.

Thanks everyone for the education.

Regards,
Clint