2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Walbro Pump Conversion 2000 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Beginning Member
jamesbalzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Walbro Pump Conversion 2000 Blazer

Has anyone attempted this? My fuel pump sounds like it has seen better days, and in the interest of me picking when to change as opposed to it deciding, I thought I would replace the pump anyway. I called the dealer and checked online and OMG those thing are expensive! I just bought a Walbro 255lph pump for my Mustang for like $140 and thought maybe I could use another (155 or 190lph) on the Blazer. Looking at the pics of the OEM pump, however, on Summit's website leaves me wondering how to make it work......Any help or insight would be great!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the same thing with mine. Why replace the WHOLE assembly when I could just replace the pump? Well, after I took mine out(just 2 weeks ago) I noticed it's not practical to just replace the pump. You pretty much have to destroy the sending unit that houses the pump to get it out. Plus, you get to kill 2 birds with one stone, if your gas gauge is bouncing, replacing both, fixes both.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 AM
southpaw is on a distinguished road

If you do the fuel pump yourself, be prepared for a "fun" afternoon. Just did mine and I wanted to throw my tools on several occasions. Did it in the driveway without a lift and couldn't siphon all of the gas out. Still had about 6 gallons left in the tank.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it, however, the problem is with how the factory pump is attached to the pump assembly. The factory corrugated line cannot easily be removed without damaging it. This leaves you with having to properly cut a piece of regular fuel line to connect things. I say this because it is not all that easy of a task and takes precision. You need to measure the depth of the tank, then compress the fuel pump assembly to that height and measure for the length that the fuel line needs to be cut to. Then you can cut the line and clamp it in place. Too short and the line will eventually pull off inside of the tank. Too long and you risk not being able to install the retaining ring. I would err on the long side though and compress the fuel line in there. It may take some trial and error.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member
jamesbalzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input. Definitely food for thought. Please keep the insight coming if you have it!

Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

PACKING LUBE!!! When I did my pump recently, my friend brought over a tube of grease for packings. It was something called Sil. Use it to lube up your rubber fuel filler hose and vent lines. Makes re-assembly much easier.

Pending how much rust you have on the bottom, you may end up replacing the rearward fastener and bolt, and you may end up breaking the forward 6" tank strap. Which IMHO, is the worst design.