2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wand to dress up my Xtreme fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:46 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Wand to dress up my Xtreme fog lamps

Anyone modded their fog lamps? Seems like I saw some once but can't find them now. Looking for ideas, thx.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

What exactly are you looking to accomplish, just neat looking or actual better light output?

Throwing some cheap LED bulbs in them or tinting the lens is a quick and easy way to change their appearance, but it's not going to do much for the light output, probably even make it worse.

I wouldn't chance putting HID's directly into them as I doubt the housings would hold up to the heat for very long...

If you're comfortable doing some heavy modding, you could cut them open and stick some projectors in them and some HID's into those for a cool look (in my opinion) and WAY better light output. There's some pretty small projectors that you could cram into the housing like the Blazer brand (yes that's actually the company name ironically lol). I have a set of Blazer brand lights that I robbed from a Corvette, they're factory OEM lights on it, that I mounted to the front of my Blazer. They're sealed and waterproof so they don't have to be fully enclosed in a housing. I'm running 55w HID's in them with great results, they're as bright as most low beam headlights by themselves and have a nice cutt off so they don't blind oncoming traffic.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Those look good, and very bright when you need them...

Old 01-20-2019, 12:24 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

I'd be fixing them up just for looks. What about outlining the lamps with neon, maybe there's something skinny that will fit? Or cover them with a pattern of transparent colored tape?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:55 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

@blazen_red_4x4
Great looking front! Is that a trimmed genuine bumper with a winch mount? Your option is a very esthetic combo (plus not so heavy). I have a plan to weld a custom bumper for my Blazer this spring, and this pics of Your are very tempting.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:26 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mike.308
@blazen_red_4x4
Great looking front! Is that a trimmed genuine bumper with a winch mount? Your option is a very esthetic combo (plus not so heavy). I have a plan to weld a custom bumper for my Blazer this spring, and this pics of Your are very tempting.
Yes, original bumper with a section cut out so there's access to the winch. After cutting, I painted over to seal the edge and finished it off with some door edge guard for a more "professional" look

Some better photos of the fog lights though. I didn't want them to hang down too far and get ripped off the first time a branch caught one off the pavement... so I actually mounted them directly to the bottom of the factory bumper. Was pretty easy since as you can see my lower valance is gone. Sort of had to get red of it for the winch anyhow, but let's face it that's the first thing that gets ripped off when you put on bigger tires or actually use the truck off road anyhow lol. One side of mine was already cracked and ripping off from my old 31's rubbing against it even after trimming it...

Old 01-21-2019, 03:32 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Thanks @blazen_red_4x4 !
That's great You made such an excellent photo record of Your off road mod. It will help me a lot!