2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Washer reservoir leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:39 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Question Washer reservoir leaking

On my 98 Blazer I noticed today my washer reservoir was leaking from a small hole at the very bottom where it goes through the inner fender. Just a small hole.
Has anyone had any luck patching them or am I going to have to find one somewhere? It looks like a wrecking yard is about it unless someone here knows of a place to buy them. Ebay had one used one for $60 plus $15 shipping. My pumps are good.
Any help or ideas out there?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Try rockauto.com they usually have anything stock. You can get that gutter guard sealant chit that you spray on but IMO that's just a bandage. Like making sure it's dry & putting some silicone in the hole or a patch with silicone under thin rubber. And yeah hit the wreckers & go looking. That's a great way to get extra parts like a seat handle that always break etc.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:49 PM
war00 is on a distinguished road

i've repaired them on my own vehicle using zip ties, melting them down with a soldering iron and sealing up the crack works great. make sure you take ur time and dry it out. or you could cut up an old washer container and melt that down to seal the crack.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 AM

Thanks I tried Rockauto & they h only had 4 left of washer reservoirs but not for rear washer. So that was out.
I guess I'll try the melting deal. It is just a real tiny hole. Unless someone comes up with something else.
Thanks for your inputs.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

GMPartsShop.com has them for $35 +s&h.

You can also epoxy up the leak if you didn't want to mess with melting things together.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by swartlkk
GMPartsShop.com has them for $35 +s&h.

You can also epoxy up the leak if you didn't want to mess with melting things together.
Thanks for the link to find a new one. If I have to remove it I would like to replace it with a new one. I'll check the link Thanks again.
This is an example of all the small crap that has had to be replaced. But it runs great & drives great. I'm keeping it & just fixing the crap as I go. Way cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 06-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Kyle,
I ordered that reservoir today. GM Parts Shop is Midway Chevrolet in Phoenix AZ. So I should get it in a few days since I'm only a few hundred miles from Phoenix. I called their number on the website because they showed two different ones with rear washer. It turns out the parts in light blue are the right part in this case. But that is how I found out they were Midway Chevrolet in Phoenix.
Thanks for the info. It appears a person can save a bunch of money on GM parts from them.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Patch it, honestly, the washer reservoir does not run under any pressure, so if you find something good to patch it with, a good 2 part epoxy ect, it should be good if the hole is small enough
Nevermind. I see you just ordered it LOL

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM

I thought about patching it. But I use our 4x4s hard in some cases. I spend a lot of time a hundred miles from a town. I find myself needed washers many time when running mile upon mile of dirt & crossing water etc. So for $48 shipped I decided to go new. I have to keep my rigs in top condition because break downs are costly not fixing something I know is defective or broke could strand me for a time. Cellphone service where I go is non existent. The only help is yourself & sometimes a ranch is within a few miles. I grew up in this environment & have spent the last 55 years in it.
Thanks to everyone for your help suggestions & ideas. One thing I will carry a few more clear or white zip ties. So if I have to make a fix like this out there I'll have extras. I carry a small butane torch that gets hot enough to solder with.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Smile

I"M SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST.

I thought about patching it. But I use our 4x4s hard in some cases. I spend a lot of time a hundred miles from a town. I find myself needed washers many time when running mile upon mile of dirt & crossing water etc. So for $48 shipped I decided to go new. I have to keep my rigs in top condition because break downs are costly not fixing something I know is defective or broke could strand me for a time. Cellphone service where I go is non existent. The only help is yourself & sometimes a ranch is within a few miles. I grew up in this environment & have spent the last 55 years in it.
Thanks to everyone for your help suggestions & ideas. One thing I will carry a few more clear or white zip ties. So if I have to make a fix like this out there I'll have extras. I carry a small butane torch that gets hot enough to solder with.