2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Weird sound, weird speaker-like device on driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
gERgMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird sound, weird speaker-like device on driver's side

Hi All-

New to the forum and new to a Chevy Blazer. Just picked up a 1998 Blazer LT the other day. Runs great and everything, but I noticed the other day when I was sitting inside the vehicle in park, I could hear this strange rattling/ticking/clicking sound coming from the driver's side area, near the roof. Took a while to figure out where it was coming from, not sure 100%, but any how, it seems to be coming from this speaker-like device mounted in the roof above my head. It almost looks like a tweeter, but it is only on the drivers side. The sound has no bearing on the stereo or speaker balance, and the thing looks like it is a factory-installed device (matches color and paneling wise). Any idea on what this may be, a hands-free device? Also, any idea on the ticking sound coming from it? Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

G

Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Weird sound, weird speaker-like device on driver's side

Really shouldnt be anything above your head in the drivers seat other than like wires running to rear. There is a tweeter in the drivers side dash it may be echoing and seems like its the roof, but it should react to speaker fade and balance adjustments. My only idea may be that its like the roof rack rattling, does it seem to be tight to the roof?

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 AM

That's the wierd thing, it is some sort of speaker-like device only on the driver side. I wish I could figure out what it is. It is about 2" in diameter, right next to the handle mounted on the interior of the ceiling. Also looks like it belongs there and is may be some aftermarket thing, since it matches the interior color and plastic. Thought it might be a hands-free phone thing, but not sure. Can't find anything in the manual. I will check the roof rack, but if I put my palm over the speaker-like device, it seems to muffle the sound some. I don't think it is a huge problem, but it is annoying. You can distinctly hear it with the radio off and at an idle, not while driving (too many other sounds then).

Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You probably have the Auto Climate Control correct. If so, that is the interior temperature sensor. It has a small fan in it to draw air through it for sensing the temperature to make the appropriate adjustments per the set point.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM

I have been doing some searching on this, and that was one of my best guesses as to what it may be. Being on only one side of the vehicle, looking like it was a stock or factory component, I figured it had to be some form of a sensor.

As of now, it is just annoying and can be drowned out with a little music. I wish it would only engage when the auto-temp control was engaged, not when the regular temp was being used. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

One question on this as I have the same thing in my trailblazer, It is supposed to have a fan in that space under that "grille"? Or is it mounted further up under the headliner? I removed that cover(it just snaps in) and see nothing there.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 AM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea i've been wondering this too.......here's a pic

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...Picture009.jpg

Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It IS the interior temperature sensor for the electronic climate control. Pull the headliner down if you do not believe me.

If you do not have the automatic climate control, you still may have the grill there, but may not have anything behind it. I do believe that the earlier ones were just a thermo couple with out a fan, but later got a fan added.

djdrew, looks like yours needs to be cleaned.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sorry, mr. swart, but I think I'm gonna have to take your word for it on this one....LOL I for sure am not pulling the headliner down! (I believed you to begin with, just wondering if someone had messed w/ my fan previously because I didn't see it) THANX!
-Scott-

Old 09-06-2008, 07:27 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Blazer Forum, thanks again for quick response and good info. You all know the stuff that we can't find a damn answer for anywhere else!! THX