2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What could it be? ECU possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member
lunari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What could it be? ECU possibly?

To start off I have a 95 Blazer 4wd with the 4.3 Vortec. It ran perfectly until on one trip (before I had it, it was a family members) it died and wouldn't start again. You turn the key and it cranks and cranks and cranks and that's about it.

It has had a new fuel pump, filter, injectors, and I believe also a new fuel line and an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator installed. The only way to get it to start is to spray something combustible (ie starter fluid, carb cleaner, etc) directly into the throttle body, and voila it will start and run under it's own power (ever after the fluid sprayed in has burned off). Once the engine is running after a (random) amount of time there will be an electrical clicking noise coming from what sounds like the dash on the passenger side, the gauges go "wonky" and the engine dies.

I really need to get this thing running, sharing a car with the wife is really getting old!

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What could it be? ECU possibly?

Sounds like the ignition switch has failed. This can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. That is where I would start.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member
lunari is an unknown quantity at this point

Just the switch itself? Or the switch with a new ignition cylinder and key?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just the switch. The only reason to replace the ignition cylinder & key is if the key and cylinder are worn to the point that it is difficult to turn the lock.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at all of the major grounds in the system, both under the dash (near the top of the parking brake pedal assembly) as well as underhood?