2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What is this and why is it making a noise?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default What is this and why is it making a noise?

So i started my truck the other day and heard something buzzing under the hood so i popped it open and took a look. at first i thought it was the distributor but then i accidentally touched the thick wire that plugs into the top of whatever that is (sensor?) going into the valve cover on the drivers side and it was vibrating along with the sound. It is RMP dependent but when i raise the RPM it will go away for a split sec then come back.

so what is this and why is it making a noise?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Beginning Member
Blue Jay is on a distinguished road

That would be the PCV valve with a vacume hose attached. Sounds like time for a new one.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Oh wow i should have known that... I guess i never looked at a picture of where the PCV was. But do you know what causes it to make a vibrating noise? and what can happen if it stays like that to long? im going to change it soon, i just dont know how long its been like that. Thanks for the reply

Edit: i just read that it will give you bad gas mileage. which explains why i have been getting terrible gas mileage over the last two weeks lol.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 02-02-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Dont buy a new one. just spray some carb cleaner in it and shake up till its clean and feels loose. They just get dirty. now if you dont have any cleaner just buy a pcv as they are as much as cleaner lol

Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Ok its fixed now, that was tough lol. i think it took a whole 5 minutes to walk out my front door drive down to the parts store and change it out in the parking lot. probably about 30 seconds to pop the hood and change it haha No more noise (the grommet might need to be changed here pretty soon tho, valve was pretty easy to pull out)

It was a little oil covered and crap inside and the valve was kinda sticking. so that explains the problem that happens with these

Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

is the pcv valve ac delco specific... or would autozone brand do fine... ?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mrkevinmjr
is the pcv valve ac delco specific... or would autozone brand do fine... ?
It's ALWAYS a good idea to buy the OE supplier brand. But the MAIN thing is that you use the part # specifically named. Just because it fits doesnt mean it's the right one. Could cause problems later on.
And if you ever run across a pcv that has a plastic barrel instead of metal crimped around plastic nipple.. send it straight to ****-can, do not pass go.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

i put a autozone pcv valve in a month or two and i have had no probs almost all my parts are from autozone water pump ball joints idler arm fuel pump and tank iv hade no issues with the parts from there cant beat the lifetime warranty just bring it back and get it for free for as long as you own the truck

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Mine was from Orileys and it has been working just fine.

on a side note, my gas mileage went from 17.2 to 20.4 (highway) never knew that little thing would make such a difference. i also dont think it has been changed in 120,000 miles

Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

mine always does all that damn buzzing from day one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this and why is it making a noise?