2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

What would cause the Battery warning light to flash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:47 PM
propellerhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What would cause the Battery warning light to flash?

Is the battery about to die? Alternator?

2001 Blazer Extreme, V6, 2WD.

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: What would cause the Battery warning light to flash?

Welcome to the site.

Do you have a voltage guage?
Are you talking about the idiot light flashing.
Typically the idiot light reads the alternator. Most service centers and autoparts stores will test your battery, alternator, and starter for free. Most places can do the test with them in the truck. Get all of them tested.

On a side note.
AC Delcos batteries from that time frame have a tendancy to become defective. The positive battery post will corrode inside the battery. You cannot see the corrosion, and there is no indication it has happened. I have literaly had the whole post fall out on me. I put my wrench on the nut to take the cable off, and the whole thing fell off. Carefull, the liquid that is coming out is battery acid. It WILL eat through your clothes, your paint, etc.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:18 PM

It turned out to be the alternator.

The dash lights and accessories would work fine with the engine off key on. When the engine is running, the dash lights and accessories were flaky. I took both the alternator and battery to Autozone and they tested both. The alternator failed. The battery passed. $109 got me a rebuilt alternator. Installation was a breeze. Two bolts and two wires. Everything was in front on top. Life is good.

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome.
Stick around and check out the rest of the site. Lots of good people, good info, and good conversation. Not liek some of the other forums I belong too.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a sinking feeling that my alternator is on its way out at the moment. This morning on my way to work, on more than on occasion, I noticed my lights dimming. The radio, fan, and lights were the only things on. Nothing else... Voltmeter was on 14.5 volts, but it is very hard to see the voltmeter and the lights dimming at the same time LOL...

Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM

In my case, the dead alternator took the battery down with it. The battery won't hold a charge so the battery warning light came on again. We took the new (rebuilt) alternator and the battery back to Autozone and the alternator checked out good. We got a new battery and things have been great.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: propellerhead
the dead alternator took the battery down with it.
Typical result.