2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wheel bearing replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default wheel bearing replacement cost?

ive got both front wheel bearings going out(passenger side is alot worse tho) if i jack the blazer up and spin the tires i get a grinding metal on metal sound and when driving down the road i get a whinning sound like im running 35's or something. i called up a local shop for a quote and they said it would be around $500 for both bearings so my question is, is this a fair price? i would do this my self, but i dont have the proper tools/know how.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Beginning Member
Weedenski is on a distinguished road
Cool

I just had a quote for a bearing change also. It came up to over 1200, but that was for ball joints, and bearings plus labor.

the invoice showed the parts about 240 each, then the labor for pulling it apart was about 135 each (if I remember correctly) then about 40 each for upper and lower ball joints both sides.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That does not sound like too bad of a price, but that would depend on the quality of the parts being put in... If they are using the cheap wheel bearings, that is kinda high.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i didnt ask what brand name bearing was going to be used, what bearings would be best and which ones should i avoid?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

The bearings themselves(I don't remember the brand) are $125 each, at Autozone.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM

i found a few different bearings on rockauto,but since im having a shop do it i would like to know wat name brands to stay away from and which ones are worth the money.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
i found a few different bearings on rockauto,but since im having a shop do it i would like to know wat name brands to stay away from and which ones are worth the money.
SKF, Timken, BOWER, BCA, NATIONAL are all good brands and nationally known, I've sold them all along with the cheaper versions FALCON, Precision, Parts Plus, AutoExtra etc.... and never had a problem just so you know replacing hub assemblies is real easy you should look into doing it yourself all you have to do is take of the wheel, caliper, rotor assy and the spindle nut on the axle should take about 2 hours to do two sides

Old 05-27-2009, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swartlkk
That does not sound like too bad of a price, but that would depend on the quality of the parts being put in... If they are using the cheap wheel bearings, that is kinda high.
Answered on .net but $500 seems high for a 2wd.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Missed the 2wd entirely. Yeah, I agree. I can swap 2wd bearings in under 15 minutes a side. I am getting pretty good at it. I just did a 2005 C1500 pickup for a friend Saturday. He was out of here in 45 minutes from the time he pulled into my garage to the time he was back on the road again.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got off the phone with part souce. $225 for the "premium" and $160 for the "economy" cad. of course.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing replacement cost?