2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

wheel offset?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default wheel offset?

i have a 1999 gmc jimmy 4x4 SL 2door and i just bought some wheels from americas tire. ended up having problems getting the wheels i wanted so they upgraded me to a better wheel to keep my business which is fine. but after getting home i got a better chance to really look it over and noticed the front tires seem to be sticking out too far. makes me question the offset and the backspacing. im familiar with the term offset but not so much backspacing. either way, is there any way to find out what the stock rims offset and backspacing are? i thought americas tire would have already been on top of this and not put wheels on my truck that had the wrong offset. right now i have a full stripe of tire tread that is sticking out passed the fender in the front. and about half-3/4th of a line of tread in the rear sticking out passed the quarter panels. i either need to figure out how resolve them sticking out, or i need to get some zr2 fender flares which might look weird with color matched front/back bumpers that come stock on non zr2's.

any ideas?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This topic is covered with considerable detail in the Wheels & Tires section. In short, backspacing is exactly as it sounds, the spacing from the back side of the rim to the rim mounting surface. Offset is the distance from the center of the rim to the rim mounting surface.

The only way you are going to move the tires in towards the center of the truck is to get rims with higher back spacing.