2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wheel Speed Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Beginning Member
Repus J 13 is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel Speed Sensor Location

I've scoured the internet and books trying to find something specific about where the wheel speed sensor is located on my '02 Blazer 4WD. Does anyone know specifically!?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about the tone ring that senses wheel speed for ABS brakes, or where vehicle speed is calculated from?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The WSS (wheel speed sensor) is located in the wheel bearing at each front wheel.

The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is located in the tail housing on the transmission (2wd) or transfer case (4wd).

Old 03-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Beginning Member

The ABS Sensor, I think the one in my driver front wheel is going bad, my light turns on when I turn Left (change in tire speed [faster] compared to others) and I'm getting a quit moaning noise, like the ABS are trying to slow that wheel down. I think it is faulty and engaging the ABS because it thinks I'm skidding... at least thats what my thought path is

Old 03-20-2010, 02:48 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

if that one wheel is "moaning" you need to replace the wheel bearing unit. its a sealed unit and easy to replace.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The new wheel bearing (or hub assembly as it's called) needs to be replaced as lee said if you're getting a wailing sound. The good news is the hub assemblies come with new wheel speed sensors, so you get to kill two birds with one stone. They're anywhere from $80-$150 depending what one you get. I've heard good things about Timken hubs, and of course if you're willing to pay AC Delco is always a good choice.
You can try just replacing the WSS, but it's around $60 on it's own, so you're better off forking out the few extra bucks and getting the whole hub assembly.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

Got a new hub today... went to take everything apart, when I went to remove my brake caliper mounting bracket the lower bolt is corroded so bad that the head rounded and now I can't get a grip on it. AWESOME! I poured a bottle of WD-40 on it, heated it, pry bars and got a smaller socket on it, and it still won't move... I'm about to the point that tomo I'm going to go after the bolt head with a hack saw and cut the shoulder and head off in hopes that I will be able to just pull the bracket off, and just get a new bracket... unless anyone can come up with a away to get that bolt out... The bolt is lost and there is no way I'd be able to get it tight to the torque requirement, so if anyone has any idea on how to at least get it out and save the frame, I'm all ears.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Hot wrench, real ViseGrips, and a lot of elbow grease.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Beginning Member
upmaine is on a distinguished road

How did you make out getting the bolt out. Also I don't know why know one told you this but If you hear the moaning noise when turning left it's the right side hub bearing that's bad and if you hear it when turning right it's the left side hub bearing that's bad.