2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Wheel Stud

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Wheel Stud

So...I went to test out 4hi and 4lo...got stuck...got pulled out...caused all sorts of mud to get pushed up into the front wheel. It was so bad rocks were squealing on my rotor the whole way home[:@]

So I got home, took the wheel off, cleaned it out (I think I might have a stuck caliper...but that's another thread)..and went to put the tire back on. 4 lug nuts went on fine, the 5th binded up halfway down the stud. So I tried backing it off...no go...pushed it further...no luck..so I forced it back off. I figured I'd just use a new lug (I've got a few spare lugs). Never did I think THAT THE ENTIRE WHEEL STUD WOULD SNAP.

So...The question is..how safe is this for a day or two? The other 4 lugs went on nicely, and are torqued down nice n tight. Also, what causes the stud to break? Obviously I put too much force on the binding threads and it snapped...but is that just normal wear after 100k miles or is that more likely 100k miles of overtorqued lugs?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wheel Stud

For a bit, yes, but get it replaced ASAP!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Phew...I'll see if I can tip the guys in the installation bay to put in a new wheel stud for me while I'm at work tomorrow

Wheel studs pass for car audio right?

Better question: What all is involved in replacing the stud...is it integrated with the wheel bearing? Or can I go to Napa and buy a couple studs?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

More pics of muddy truck please

Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran