2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Where is the Dome Light Delay Module ?

Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
Radio Doc is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the Dome Light Delay Module ?

2000 LS four door.

Sometimes the dome light will turn off.

Sometimes the dome light won't turn off.

After a couple of minutes, I press the dome override and turn them off.

Several miles later, I press the dome override to OFF and the light stays off.

I've tried to isolate each door latch, but it is so random that nothing seems to repeat two times.

Does anyone have a schematic of the delay module and all the connections ?

Doc

Old 11-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

Check the door switches in the dash between the sides and doors. Just had this same issue. My drivers side switch was bent.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 02' dome lights messed up

Mine aren't working right. When I open the door they come on, but when I put the key in and start up, they're supposed to go out aren't they?....but they don't. So I have to push the dome overide button in, to turn them off. And I'm sick of having to remember to push the button back out all the time when I leave my truck....so they'll come on for security or when I re-enter the truck. But if I do release the button to have them back on.........the bloody lights take forever to turn off. Like 15 or 20 minutes, which is rediculous. Can anyone please tell me what's going on?

Also, pulling on the door handles don't turn them on. Shouldn't they?

Last edited by TonyZR2; 12-27-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly, only the vehicles with the content theft deterrent system would have switches in the door handles. The rest would have the traditional door jam switches.

It sounds like you have a door jam switch problem.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Starting Member

So could be the switch? Ok thanks. I wonder what the dealer charges for those. Anyways............so with a new door switch....the dome will go off when I start the truck? (yes, the DS switch was sticky and wouldn't go out all the way, so I loosened it up with WD4O, but that was months ago).

And I'm still wondering why they take maybe 15 min to turn off after I leave the truck.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a switch that is not opening up properly when the door closes, it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. The switches close a connection when they extend and open the connection when they get pushed in.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Starting Member

Thanks again. Hope I can find an aftermarket one. Dealer cost would probably be at least $30. Wild guess there.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Beginning Member
Radio Doc is on a distinguished road

Is there a schematic of the light delay module available ?

Does each door switch go to an individual input to the module, or are the switches paralleled at some place and then a single ground wire goes to the module ?

Answering Tony.......... I think there must be a master disconnect that opens after 15 minutes that isn't part of the delay circuit ( ?? ) Mine does the same thing.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Check out THIS THREAD for a schematics showing the door switches, inadvertent power relay and the courtesy lamp circuits. The inadvertent power relay handles the shutdown of the courtesy light circuit among other circuits, but it is controlled by the BCM (body control module).

The switches are all in a parallel circuit that completes the ground loop back to the BCM. Any damage to the wiring or switch that completes this circuit will cause the lights to remain on.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 AM
Starting Member

Annnnd it finally happened, with me leaving the override button out.......so the lights would come on if someone enters my truck (and staying on for probably at least 15 bloody minutes every time I leave the truck)..........stranded at work with a dead battery. Lucky I had JUST put my charger in the back, the day before. Ten minutes charging and I was finally able to go home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the Dome Light Delay Module ?